Looking for a Fiio E11 equivalent (namely its impact bass cap.) with DAC for PC
Nov 9, 2015 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rydell

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, I was about to purchase the Fiio E11 when I found it doesn't actually have a DAC. From what I understand this is definitely wanted if you're getting this for a PC setup considering it will be analog and the amp on it is weak / non existant. I'll probably never move this around, so portability is not a concern. But I'm seeing the Fiio E11 as a clear winner when it comes to producing a tight / impact bass for mids on quality pair of headphones. Can anyone recommend an E11 equivalent that has a DAC for under 300? 

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 6
How does it compare to the E11 or is it actually the same as E11 but with DACs? Many thanks for your answer!
Edit: just looked it up, it's 70 vs 200 which is nice. But I can't find anything about its bass enhancing capabilities to compare it vs the e11. Actually not really seeing anything on what it can do in that department. Any idea if it does just as well with the impact bass?

Nov 10, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #4 of 6
  How does it compare to the E11 or is it actually the same as E11 but with DACs? Many thanks for your answer!
Edit: just looked it up, it's 70 vs 200 which is nice. But I can't find anything about its bass enhancing capabilities to compare it vs the e11. Actually not really seeing anything on what it can do in that department. Any idea if it does just as well with the impact bass?

I have no experience with the E11, E11k, or A3 so I cannot comment on them other than what I read about them.  I've read the bass boost is passive on the E11k/A3 and doesn't add much, but I have no first hand knowledge of this.  I own the Q1 and can tell you that the bass boost doesn't necessarily add bass as much as it colors or adds richness to the music.  I'm not a bass head, but I use this function because it makes the sound stage bigger and IMO adds what is lacking when the boost is turned off.  I do notice an impact at lower volumes which I did not have before when I just used my X3.  I get more impact depending on the headphones I am using, but it's not booming or bloated, but I can feel it.  Don't ask me about the DAC of the Q1 because I have yet to use it in that fashion.

Nov 13, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks again. I think I'm going to continue my research unless anyone else has recommendations?

Get a Hifimediy Sabre U2 USB DAC ($57 + shipping $8?), to use with the FiiO A3 (E11K) headphone amplifier.
http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/U2-DAC?sort=p.price&order=ASC&limit=100

The Asus Xonar DX sound card (used $50-$60) comes with a CS4398 DAC chip and comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound.
Makes a great combo with the FiiO A3

The FiiO A3's less then 1-Ohm headphone output impedance make it desirable for use with low impedance headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back