Looking for a entry level DAP
Aug 24, 2020 at 5:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Saberfang

New Head-Fier
So my brother old creative mp3 player died and I was thinking about gifting him a up to date entry level DAP that will let him experience a good loseless experience. I was thinking about a budget of 300€/300$ for something with a good DAC expecially for rock and pop music. I'm not really interested in optional feature like android's apps, bluetooth links or wi-fi if they are badly supported due to low budget.

In the price range I saw the Fiio M9 which look promising but also have some mixed reviews expecially about the custom android UI which concerns me.

At this point I started to wonder if I should got for a more basic DAP but paired with some entry level earphones which would be needed anyway.

As you can see I'm still uncertain on what should I look for so any input is appreciated.

Aug 24, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #2 of 7
So my brother old creative mp3 player died and I was thinking about gifting him a up to date entry level DAP that will let him experience a good loseless experience. I was thinking about a budget of 300€/300$ for something with a good DAC expecially for rock and pop music. I'm not really interested in optional feature like android's apps, bluetooth links or wi-fi if they are badly supported due to low budget.

In the price range I saw the Fiio M9 which look promising but also have some mixed reviews expecially about the custom android UI which concerns me.

At this point I started to wonder if I should got for a more basic DAP but paired with some entry level earphones which would be needed anyway.

As you can see I'm still uncertain on what should I look for so any input is appreciated.

For a budget DAP, you can consider the Shanling Q1, my personal favourite at the $100 region, I bought it at $90 USD during sales. Very small, 20 hour battery life, good UI. Plays lossless files, good sound quality, drives most gear well. It has 2 way bluetooth too, and even has WIFI access. Doesn't colour the sound much and is feature packed.

If u don't mind an alternative (but cheaper option), that is to use DAC/AMP dongles with a smartphone. Something like the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro for about $40 USD or less, great sound quality, almost as good as my desktop setup, but can't drive high impedance headphones or planar IEMs. Only issue is they use battery from the smartphone, and some phones don't have enough memory for music files (especially lossless big files).

Aug 24, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 7
I love my Cayin N3 DAP. It has good SQ and many other functions like using it as a DAC, bluetooth etc. It's within your budget and it has good reviews too.

Sep 6, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 7
HiBy R5. I have a R3 and R6 Pro and have heard the R5 and for the money would pic the R5 in the price range.

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 7
Hiby R5 for $300 is the one or the iBasso DX 160 for $399 for better experience in terms of hardware and screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back