Looking for a durable, balanced IEM
Dec 6, 2013 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Capt Snow

New Head-Fier
Dear Head-Fiers,

I'm looking for some IEM's that sound well without amplification, have a balanced sound signature and I would like them to be pretty durable as well.

Max budget is about 160 euros/dollars.

Currently looking at:

-Vsonic GR-06, 59 euros
-Vsonic GR-07 Mk2 , 149 euros (Read complaints about the rotating nozzle not holding up to time + usage well)

I'd like to know how these two options compare and other IEM recommendations are also welcome. Comparisons from people who own both IEM's would be extremely helpful.

Thanks in advance

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #3 of 21
So far after 3 months with my GR07, the nozzle is still holding up quite well. I'm not too sure about what you mean by the rotating nozzle not holding up well, but at least for now, it is still sufficiently stiff to inspire confidence, not too jiggly. 

I can't say how it compares to the hf5 though. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 21
I second the hf5's. They also have the least sibilance out of any iem/headphones i've heard (maybe tied with the v-moda m80). 

As for durability, every earphone will last you for years if you take care of it properly. Just make sure to never stress the cable.

Dec 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #5 of 21
  So far after 3 months with my GR07, the nozzle is still holding up quite well. I'm not too sure about what you mean by the rotating nozzle not holding up well, but at least for now, it is still sufficiently stiff to inspire confidence, not too jiggly. 

I can't say how it compares to the hf5 though. 

Are the GR07 just as comfortable without the earrubbers? I'm thinking I would be losing them within a week so if the GR07 can easily go without them it would be a great plus.

Dec 9, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #9 of 21
  SE215?

I looked this one up but reading about bad contacts and bad durability overall, this one is off-putting for me.

I think I need to decide between the IE80/IE8 from Senn or still go for the GR07 and live with the non-detachable cable.

I did read the GR07 handles metal especially well so that would be a big plus for me.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #10 of 21
i think either one of these will be a good buy. If you can get a chance to audition these IEM, go with the one that you feel the most comfortable with. Personally, I can live with the lack of removable cables since i feel that the more moving parts, the higher chance that something will break.

I can't recall off the top of my head which IEM has got removable cables and is still in the price range that you are looking at.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #11 of 21

I looked this one up but reading about bad contacts and bad durability overall, this one is off-putting for me.

I think I need to decide between the IE80/IE8 from Senn or still go for the GR07 and live with the non-detachable cable.

I did read the GR07 handles metal especially well so that would be a big plus for me.

I prefer BA-based IEMs over dynamic-based ones for metal because of BA speed.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #12 of 21
Dec 11, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #13 of 21
Dec 11, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 21
Though the GR07BE has the bass edition moniker, it's not really because it has more bass. It sounds more fuller. I would say its mids are more forward than the mk2. This probably costs the BE in terms of sound staging but the difference between them is not great but noticeable. For more information check out the GR07BE Vs GR07Mk2 thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572175/vsonic-gr07-perfection-added-mkii-vs-bass-edition-24-03

Users who are viewing this thread

Back