Looking for a DIY'er to mod a an ART DI/O
May 27, 2004 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

AdamZuf

Headphoneus Supremus
i have modded a DI/O by myself before, and done everything except 1,2 & 6 and it took me less then 2 hours, as my first DIY project.

1.opamps changed from stock opamp on main board to 2 AD825 on a seperate board (you figure out how!) with wires. this is the only comlicated part. will need good wires.
2. upgrade power caps (about 30-40)
3. upgrade 3 diodes to Schottky
4. change digital input resistor to 75 Ohm Ricken
5. change 4 resistors in the I/O board to Ricken
6. digital isolation transformers in the digital input and for the power supply (simple ones could be made)
7. grounding
8. change the "1/4 outputs to cardas RCA's
9. remove tube and ADC
if the transformers and the extra board require recasing, then it's possible.

EDIT: i've decided to do most of the job myself and get someone to do step 1 for me in israel. no help needed, thanks!

May 27, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 16
thanks! i'll PM the man.

May 28, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 16
bump!

Jun 2, 2004 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 16
bump!

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 16
changed the mod list.

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:28 PM Post #7 of 16
no one
confused.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 16
to be honest, it's not interesing.. DI/O uses average quality D/A chip, simple opamp filter stage etc. it's not something I'd like to spend my time on.. I'd rather try to make the best DAC I can and I wouldn't mind building it for someone else too..

just my point of view..

Jun 16, 2004 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 16
it's not a question if it's interesting or not.. i'm willing to pay.

Jun 17, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #10 of 16
and why do you want Ricken resistors in some places? are you shure they will help? why are these so special? if I understand you right you want power supply too, are you on 230V? and with Cardas RCA you probably mean cool looking isolated silver plated RCA don't you?
wink.gif
if you tell me what dimensions (3D) has the DI/O circuit board I can show you some of the possible aluminium cases for recasing.. and can you tell me why digital input transformer? doesn't your source have one already? you don't need isolation twice.. remember transformer is not the best thing under the sun, it's there to isolate, not to increase quality of the signal.. and what do you call digital supply isolating transformer??

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #11 of 16
attachment.php

attachment.php

what about this one? clear or black anodised, 2mm thick ALU plates..

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:36 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Glassman
and why do you want Ricken resistors in some places? are you shure they will help? why are these so special?

yes. i did it myself in a previous DI/O i had, and it helps INCREADIBLY.
i also had the Mensa DI/O and i suspect that the impact of changing all of the resistors to Rickens is not worth their price.
Quote:

if I understand you right you want power supply too, are you on 230V?

nope, i've passed on that. i'm getting a DI/O from an american with upgraded PS, so the moder can work with. i already have a 3A PS from my previous DI/O.
Quote:

and with Cardas RCA you probably mean cool looking isolated silver plated RCA don't you?
wink.gif

the DI\O got "1/4 outputs since it's basicly a musician's tool. i have no problem with other brands, but cardas is good.
Quote:

can you tell me why digital input transformer? doesn't your source have one already? you don't need isolation twice.. remember transformer is not the best thing under the sun, it's there to isolate, not to increase quality of the signal.. and what do you call digital supply isolating transformer??

i have discussed this in the past with experienced DI/O modders that thought that both helps very much. maybe i got the wrong impression that they talked about combination, where the case is actually that they refered to one of them. i believe you if you say that it's worth nothing technicaly, and only ask for one. i have been told that i can buy a seperate isolation transformer for the power supply, but i prefer it to be a part of the unit.
Quote:

if you tell me what dimensions (3D) has the DI/O circuit board I can show you some of the possible aluminium cases for recasing..

thanks, i'll get the dimentions ASAP from the seller.

Jun 17, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 16
so maybe you'll mod it for me?
biggrin.gif

the reason i'm not doing this myself this time is because of that opamps thing..

Jun 17, 2004 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 16
there's supposed to be only one stereo opamp on the board.
the idea of the AD825 has been done only once and i want to try it, the man was very enthusiastic about it.

since the A->D opamp (which is next to the D->A one which we use) is removed, i think that it's possible to fit the little AD825 board in there, without using long cables or extra space.
i have almost zero experience in DIY, but it seems that the board & wiring job could be easily done with sockets for the AD825, wired to the stereo socket (LT1365 compatible, IIRC).

heck i already replaced an opamp in the DI/O and i did it just fine, maybe i'll mod this one myself and that's it
biggrin.gif
(and screw the isolation transformer for now). this is actually a very easy project..
OTOH, if i screw up with the right wiring i'm doomed.. i won't know how to fix it
biggrin.gif
maybe i'll just get someone in israel to do this part for me and do all of the rest myself..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back