Looking for a DIY-built DAC, with a lot of requirements
Feb 28, 2008 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to replace my current DAC with something that will fit me needs better. I need USB, coax and toslink inputs, as well as at least two outputs, switchable if the design makes that necessary. I don't need a dedicated power supply, or anything fancy like an second case. I just need something that will sound as good as, or better than my current DAC (see sig).

Any suggestions?

I guess price needs to be relatively low, say...under $300 all-inclusive.

Also, I would need someone to build it.

Thanks,

Joe

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 11
Consider the Opus DAC by TwistedPearAudio.com, their new COD DAC, or perhaps wait for their newest iteration based on this uber-new DAC by ESS.

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 11
Jambo's also working on a DAC project and is planning to offer kits. He includes the multiplexer onboard (so you get multiple input switching), and it'll be much cheaper than an Opus with all those modules (USB, SPDIF, 2xOTTO, COD...). The only thing not to like about it is that the USB input goes to SPDIF back into the Wolfson receiver so it can be multiplexed. Probably not good for clock sync, but it's the easiest way to do it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/jambo-dac-288159/

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #4 of 11
That one jambo is making looks interesting. I think that would work really well.

The opus is really hard for me to figure out...I would need the DAC module, the SPDIF module, and the USb module correct?

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That one jambo is making looks interesting. I think that would work really well.

The opus is really hard for me to figure out...I would need the DAC module, the SPDIF module, and the USb module correct?

Yes. You'd also need some way of switching your sources. You get an OTTO kit for free if you buy some other modules, and you could use that to switch between SPDIF and USB, but you only get one SPDIF input with that setup. You'd also need the TOSLINK input module if you want an optical input.

You might also want to consider the Ballsie bal->SE converter for a stronger and cleaner output, but you could also evaluate the basic setup and add that later if you wanted.

I think Jambo's DAC is about right for you, the problem is that you need to build it up yourself/have someone do it. Opus comes basically all preassembled, you just need to attach the modules together and case it up.

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #6 of 11
You would think I could handle that, but I don't have a single DIY bone in my body.
tongue.gif

So what am I looking at price wise to fit my requirements on the opus?

Feb 28, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #7 of 11
looking over what boards they have, I came up with this:

Opus DAC + S/PDIF Receiver Combo
[1] DAC Module (Assembled and Tested)
[1] S/PDIF Receiver Module (Assembled and Tested)
[1] LCDPS Kit
$175.00

TOSLINK Optical Input Module Kit
$16.00 USD

Opus USB Receiver Module (Assembled and Tested)
$75.00

Transformer: $22

Subtotal: $272

Switching between the toslink and coax spdif can be done with a simple switch. Add $30 for the various jacks/switches, $100 for a case, and you're around $400 total not including the time spent putting it together
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm currently building up an Opus DAC myself (technically it's already been "built" a few times already, but I keep tearing it apart to tweak), but the Jambo DAC tempts me for the all-in-one design

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or perhaps wait for their newest iteration based on this uber-new DAC by ESS.

Err, guess I missed any mention of this...guess I'll have to go searching
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #9 of 11
all of these choices...Ugh

Actually, all I really need is a USB to SPDIF converter (toslink)

My current DAC has two inputs, and I only use the coax. my laptop has SPDIF out, but It really sucks. USB would be better.

Where can I get one of those?

Feb 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back