Looking for a desktop amp to give my AKG q701's tight strong impact bass
Nov 4, 2014 at 11:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rydell

New Head-Fier
I primarily do PC gaming and that's what I got these headphones for. The impact feeling from explosions and gun shots, much less the bass period, seem very weak. I bought into these headphones knowing I would need an amp to use their full potential, but the amps I'm seeing (o2) recommended for these headphones seem to lack impact bass from reading the reviews. I don't need portability, these headphones just sit at my gaming PC. Can anyone recommend an amp less than 200 that can provide impressive impact / tight bass to these headphones? Going for realism on my headphones. I got the soundstage and clarity, I just need the amp for powering the drivers and making the overall audio a little stronger (as these headphones are already very quiet).

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 5
I have thought about it, but I can't imagine cutting a few things here and there is going to deliver anywhere near what an actual amp can do. Plus, there's varying opinions on how to do that mod. Too much wishy washy info, I'd rather do it the right way and get the amp like I originally planned. I just need to find a desktop amp that is known for its impact bass.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 5
Desktop amps won't drastically change a headphone's signature.  If you find the bass on the Q701 severely lacking then no amp is going to fix it.  I suggest selling it and getting a Fidelio X1.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 5
  I primarily do PC gaming and that's what I got these headphones for. The impact feeling from explosions and gun shots, much less the bass period, seem very weak. I bought into these headphones knowing I would need an amp to use their full potential, but the amps I'm seeing (O2) recommended for these headphones seem to lack impact bass from reading the reviews. I don't need portability, these headphones just sit at my gaming PC. Can anyone recommend an amp less than 200 that can provide impressive impact / tight bass to these headphones? Going for realism on my headphones. I got the sound stage and clarity, I just need the amp for powering the drivers and making the overall audio a little stronger (as these headphones are already very quiet).

AKG Q701 are not "bassy" headphones, anything extreme you do in increase the bass will more likely just give you a bloated (louder, less detailed) bass.
You better off swapping the Q701 for headphones that offer more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back