Looking for a dedicated source for MP3/FLAC - not interested in PC + DAC / Squeezebox
Sep 12, 2010 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

MicroFi

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I'm a long time forum-lurker, and now I subscribed 'cause I'm looking for a device I can't seem to find. You are the people that made me buy my first headphones (AKG K702's) and amp (Heed Canamp). I'm very happy with the pair, so I would really appreciate your advice on this matter!

90% of the threads in the "Dedicated Source Components"-section seem to be about DAC's, while I'm looking for a standalone device to play my MP3's/FLAC's. The simpler, the better: I don't need a huge display, a simple LED-display with a menu that goes "Artist > Album > Song" would be enough. Ideally it would have an internal HDD or the ability to stream music from a Samba-share on my NAS.

I've been looking at the Squeezebox, but you'll always need a server to stream the music, if you choose to take that path.
A simple MP3/FLAC-player in a desktop enclosure would be ideal, but maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist?

Please help me out
k701smile.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #2 of 16

Quote:
A simple MP3/FLAC-player in a desktop enclosure would be ideal, but maybe I'm looking for something that doesn't exist?

Afraid so. There are a zillion media players, but hardly one with a screen. And if they have a screen, like f.i. the Dune, it is a 8 character screen. For these players you need to switch on your TV, since they are primarily made for video.
But there are ways to use a squeezebox without a PC; you can use your NAS if it is powerful enough to run Squeezebox server, and the Squeezebox Touch can be used with a USB- stick or USB-HD. Or a small dedicated mini PC as a dedicated server....However, going one of these routes I advice to do some careful study, this is a good place to start: http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php
Or do what I do, set the PC on sleep and wake it up when you want to listen...
Another possibility is a HTPC with build in screen, but they are very expensive; the case alone is usually something like €600,- around where I live.
Yet another possibility is a DAP with a dock, there are beautiful docks for pads.

My system see sign, and a WD HD TV for video, but the moment someone finally manages to add a useful screen in a media player I'll sell the Touch and the WD.

Sep 12, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #3 of 16
Have you considered just one of the hard disk based iPods?

These can be tweaked in many ways.  Rockboxed, iModded, etc.  You can get widgets that take the music off the hard disk, skipping the internal DAC/AMP.

Not an overly expensive way to make a small music server for headphone listening.

Particularly if you stick with MP3 music, you can fit a lot into the 160 gig iPods.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 16
But there are ways to use a squeezebox without a PC; you can use your NAS if it is powerful enough to run Squeezebox server, and the Squeezebox Touch can be used with a USB- stick or USB-HD. Or a small dedicated mini PC as a dedicated server....However, going one of these routes I advice to do some careful study, this is a good place to start: http://forums.slimdevices.com/index.php

The squeezebox looks almost perfect, except for the fact it needs a dedicated Squeezebox server to run (my NAS isn't a PC > it's a Lacie Network Space 2 > not able to run a SB-server). I didn't know the Squeezebox Touch was able to access files through USB-stick/USB-HDD, but I don't think that's going to be such an elegant solution. I already have an iPod, so a nice iPod-dock which takes the digital-out (does the iPod even have a digital out?!) and converts it to an analogue signal would be a good idea too. Thank you!

The Olive on the other hand ... looks great, exactly what I'm looking for, but ... too expensive
mad.gif

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 16

Quote:
The squeezebox looks almost perfect, except for the fact it needs a dedicated Squeezebox server to run (my NAS isn't a PC > it's a Lacie Network Space 2 > not able to run a SB-server). I didn't know the Squeezebox Touch was able to access files through USB-stick/USB-HDD, but I don't think that's going to be such an elegant solution. I already have an iPod, so a nice iPod-dock which takes the digital-out (does the iPod even have a digital out?!) and converts it to an analogue signal would be a good idea too. Thank you!

The Olive on the other hand ... looks great, exactly what I'm looking for, but ... too expensive
mad.gif

Good choice too, I think. There are a few docks that use the ipods digital out, and function like a digital source. Wadia has one that gets rave reviews, I think Denon got one too. I agree on the olives, far too expensive.

Sep 12, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #7 of 16

You can always build what you want....add your own HD packed full of music and the Mini iTX motherboard of your choice.  If Windows you can use Foobar or JRiver and control them both completely via an iTouch remotely.  If Linux you can use Music Player Damon and control it remotely.

Sound get pretty good sound and can run totally headless.

Total cost somewhere around $500

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 16

Pretty much a modded ipod (iMod) sounds perfect for want you're looking for imo.

I really like the idea of a "real" desktop module, so I think I'm going for the iPod + dock or maybe a squeezebox after all. I'll find a way to host a little server. Maybe I can get rid of my Lacie-NAS and build a dedicated server for both tasks.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Sep 14, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #10 of 16
have you considered the Brennan JB7 ? this could be what you're looking for, basically a hard drive + cdp in a small case with a display. It can't stream music and can't store FLAC though (also it's a bit expensive for what it does imo, but at least it looks good)

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
have you considered the Brennan JB7 ? this could be what you're looking for, basically a hard drive + cdp in a small case with a display. It can't stream music and can't store FLAC though (also it's a bit expensive for what it does imo, but at least it looks good)

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

This looks actually really great. Price isn't that bad either, if you consider what you get.
I'm going to mail those guys for some extra info. I want to know if I can manually fill the hard disk with songs, instead of by loading in CD's.

Great suggestion, cannibalox!

Sep 15, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroFi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to know if I can manually fill the hard disk with songs, instead of by loading in CD's.

Found the answer on my question right on the website:

"If you have a lot of MP3s from the internet JB7 will play them from your favourite MP3 player. Or you could transfer the MP3s to a USB hard drive where JB7 can play them. Finally you can load them into JB7 from the USB hard drive so you have an additional copy of the MP3s for safe keeping."

I think they've got a new client!

Sep 16, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 16
you're welcome, I was also looking for a dedicated transport at one point but ended assembling a HTPC.
the lack of lossless and network was a deal breaker for me.
Still if you ever order the  Brennan unit, I'd be interested to get your feedback on it.
also if you stumble on another product, please keep me/us updated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back