Looking for a decent usb sound card for my netbook
Jan 12, 2011 at 11:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

xmoduser

New Head-Fier
Hi I'm happy owner of creative xmod soundcard. I'm planning to buy sonething with sound quality like xmod but with small size , to better fit my netbook. Was thinking about buying SOUND BLASTER PLAY! or maybe SteelSeries Siberia (which it is better in terms of sound quality). Or maybe you would have other suggestions. My budget is max 50 dolars + eventually costs of shipping. Shop that I'd prefer is ebay.

PS
On netbook I scale cpu to the lowest to save on battery power and have 1 GB of ram, so would prefer to not install resource eating software along with my soundcard. 

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 13
Better, but what is the usb cable for, it's kind of weird, other mini usb sound cards don't have one, and is it better than Sound Blaster Play! card (in terms of sound quality) ?

Jan 12, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
To me the E7 is quite small i can fit it in my pocket, maybe this is more what your looking for http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx .

+100  That is an awesome choice if you choose it. 
beyersmile.png
  Yeah it might have a bit of a dongle, but it won't be accidentally snapped off by a yank on the headphone cord.

Jan 13, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
Quote:
To me the E7 is quite small i can fit it in my pocket, maybe this is more what your looking for http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/sound-cards/audio-advantage-micro-ii.aspx .

+100  That is an awesome choice if you choose it. 
beyersmile.png
  Yeah it might have a bit of a dongle, but it won't be accidentally snapped off by a yank on the headphone cord.

Ok maybe I'll buy that but another question, are there any sound differences betwen micro II and amigo II models or they sound the same ?

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #9 of 13
How about a Creative X-Fi Go!? The regular version, not the Pro version as the Pro version drops support for 24-bit 48KHz and bumps EAX support from version 4 to 5. And the Go! does sound better than the Play!

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
 Your headphones will make a bigger difference than the sound chip ever will.

I'm no audiophile just a man who can sense difference betwen build in netbook soundcard and better one (like creative xmod), but I assume that my koss porta pro would do the job well

Quote:
How about a Creative X-Fi Go!? 

is it better than that turtle beach card, and another question, minimal requirements are 1.6 GHz CPU but I always scale my netbook to lowest about 700 MHz to prolong my battery life, will my system be able to work properly with 700MHz + 1 GB ram + windows xp despite that minimal requirements of this card are 1,6 GHz. ?

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:37 AM Post #11 of 13
It should work acceptably, though I would set the minimum cpu frequency to 1GHz just to be on the safe side.

Netbooks can already keep quite some charge on the battery. Also, have you thought about upgrading to windows 7? It has improved power management, allowing you to prolong your battery life longer.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
It has improved power management, allowing you to prolong your battery life longer.

Didn't thought about that, because I would like to use legal windows, this one I'm using is oem xp home basic, and buying new legal windows would cost almost 1/3 of price I paid for my netbook (samsung nc 10 a year ago)  

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:

Quote:
It has improved power management, allowing you to prolong your battery life longer.

Didn't thought about that, because I would like to use legal windows, this one I'm using is oem xp home basic, and buying new legal windows would cost almost 1/3 of price I paid for my netbook (samsung nc 10 a year ago)  

You can download a copy and use it for 30 days as a trial, not activating it, that way you could test how your netbook would work with your apps in a legit way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back