Looking for a DAP with better SQ than my smartphone: help needed
Apr 14, 2018 at 8:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ohenriquez

New Head-Fier
Dear Members

I have been reading this great forum for a long time and decided to buy my first DAP.

I had been using smartphones (just for sound quality) recommended by members here: HTC 10, LGV10, Meizu Pro, Samsung S7 edge and now S8+

I use Audio Quest Nighthawk and Phillips Fidelio L2 headphones

Even bought DFR to use with my S8+ but don’t use it much as it is a bit cumbersome and drains the battery of my phone

Thought that I should improve the experience and got the Astell and Kern Jr brand new for the equivalent to 260 US dollars

I have been listening to the AK Jr with my High Res files and I am still getting used to the sound signature. At first, I found that I liked the sound of my S8+ better (without the DFR). Found that the sound of my smartphone is more “colourful” and perhaps V Shaped? I liked more the sound of my smartphone. When compared the sound of my AK Jr with my smartphone, I found it more “veiled” and did not like it much (even after adjusting the equalizer)

Funny enough, after few days of testing, I am enjoying a bit more the sound of my AK JR and perhaps it is the fact that I have not been used to the sound of a DAP. It feels more clear and detailed. Definitively, not warm when compared to my smartphone. I listen to Electronic, Jazz, Rock, Indie, Classical and I appreciate that Jazz sounds great for example.

Wonder as to whether any of you have compared the sound of an entry level DAP (or the AK Jr) with a high-end smartphone such as the S8+ or LV 30

I still have one more week to return it and I am thinking that I may give it more time as at the end of the day I got it cheaper than the full retail price as new. Perhaps the sound will improve after more use.

Maybe, I may need to upgrade my headphones to take full advantage of my DAP or my specific model it is just an entry level one and I may need to upgrade it to a “better one”?

As I said, I am new to this Hobby and always appreciate your advice.

Dr O

Apr 15, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 5
In the meantime, I may get some headphones recommended by Head Fi, Audio Technica
You are using NifhthaeNi. You don't NEED to upgrade your headphones. Those are warm cans, and by the sound of it, you'd prefer more warmth as well as what you seemed to be getting from your S8+. I like warm too. Hearing good things from Hiby R6. Android FAP, so you know what you can get there. Quality eq ability as well. Hearing that Fiio X5 3rd edition is also a warm DAP, but is go R6 over X5.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 5
Dear Devodonaldson

I appreciate your response and you are very right, I lean towards warm SQ

Thanks for your advice about the DAP and I would request a refund of that DAP (AK Jr) and consider the HiBy R6

I looked the HiBy R6 but could not find it on sale on the web. Will try harder. Wonder whether you know where I can get it.
Will travel to USA soon and may be able to get it over there.

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #5 of 5
Dear Devodonaldson

I appreciate your response and you are very right, I lean towards warm SQ

Thanks for your advice about the DAP and I would request a refund of that DAP (AK Jr) and consider the HiBy R6

I looked the HiBy R6 but could not find it on sale on the web. Will try harder. Wonder whether you know where I can get it.
Will travel to USA soon and may be able to get it over there.
Indiegogo csmoacam just ended. Not quite out for regular retail yet. Search thread here on head-fi for info and here's the R6 website for orodupr details https://www.hibymusic.net/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back