Looking for a DAP with a parametric eq
Jan 17, 2021 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PolkManiac

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I've been using a FIIO M11 for a while now with good results, but have recently found myself in need of something with a parametric eq built in. I know there are apps like Neutron player and Roon that can do paramatric eq but on the FIIO those each present challenges in the form of forced upsampling/downsampling.

The FIIO Music app has a standard graphic eq but that won't work for what I need, I need a full 10 band parametric eq with the ability to set a specific frequency, gain and q value. I'd like this to be built into the player itself and not something I need to download a separate app for.

Somewhere under $1000 would be preferable, but if I have to spend more to get it I can do that.

Thanks

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 6
I'd like a DAP with a built in parametric EQ as well. It's pretty confusing trying to figure out specifics for each DAP, often the reviews gloss over that part. Take most of the below with a grain of salt because I don't have first hand experience with most of these. Just throwing out some ideas.

Hiby - newer players have global MSEB. MSEB lets you tweak the sound, but MSEB does not have a parametric EQ. Neutron / UAPP may work differently than the FIIO? I think Hiby says they bypass Android audio nonsense directly.

Shanling - Neutron / UAPP may work differently than the FIIO? I think Shanling says they bypass Android audio nonsense directly. I have an M6pro. Playing through Neutron with the PEQ on, the dap is showing an upsampled rate in the status bar. Playing through UAPP with the PEQ on, the dap is showing the actual sample rate in the status bar. Could be something I have wrong in the settings with Neutron, how Android handles audio + how the DAP maker went around that + 3rd party apps gets confusing to me.

Lotoo - Parametric EQ for the PAW 6000 and PAW Touch Gold. But limited to five bands only and limited to a max Q of 1. The limitation in Q is the big downside for me.

Astell&Kern - Parametric EQ of some kind. I think you get more bands and can set a higher Q than Lotoo but I haven't really seen that confirmed for sure. I've read plenty of threads for AK daps where people say don't bother with the PEQ because it has a very subtle effect. So maybe something with the implementation here that is wonky.

Qudelix-5K - No experience at all with this, but it's a dongle that seems to have PEQ. No 4.4mm ruled it out for me.

Jan 18, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi everyone, I've been using a FIIO M11 for a while now with good results, but have recently found myself in need of something with a parametric eq built in. I know there are apps like Neutron player and Roon that can do paramatric eq but on the FIIO those each present challenges in the form of forced upsampling/downsampling.

The FIIO Music app has a standard graphic eq but that won't work for what I need, I need a full 10 band parametric eq with the ability to set a specific frequency, gain and q value. I'd like this to be built into the player itself and not something I need to download a separate app for.

Somewhere under $1000 would be preferable, but if I have to spend more to get it I can do that.

Thanks
Do you need streaming? A used Lotoo paw gold is probably one of the best options you could get

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #5 of 6
___

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 6

Thanks
Hi @PolkManiac

iBasso DX160 has a parametric EQ. I have been using it for last 9 months (since I bought this DAP). Very good & versatile but needs lot of venturing, patience - a steep learning curve if you will but really worth it. BTW DX160 only costs you USD400 or less (now)... Or you can even try the new DX300...

Attachments

• Parametric EQ - DX160.jpg
    Parametric EQ - DX160.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back