Looking for a DAP under $300 that can take input from Android/Laptop
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

imackler

Headphoneus Supremus
I've got an Ultimate Ears UE4 and a pair of HD569 (which I like quite a bit for a cheap closed-back). I currently have a Leckerton UHA-6S Mkii with ADA4627-1B op-amp. Out of the Leckerton, the UE4 does not have a lot of volume play before it gets too loud. The HD569 doesn't need much power either. I'd like to improve on the Leckerton dac as well.

My first desire would be a DAP under $300 that I could use either internal storage or Tidal from a computer (or android); and yet be a good match for either the UE4 (prefer close to 0 Output Impedance) or HD569. (Are there daps that take a USB-Source? It would be kind of cool if a dap had a line out as well that could go to an external amp, if I wanted to run a HD600 while sitting on the courch. So chain Computer/Smartphone > Dap > External amp, for when I wanted to.) I would be ok with just a good DAP that runs tidal but they are quite expensive with quality UI / Larger Screen. I really don't like TIdal on a fiddly little screen.

The other option is an external DAC/Amp with a smartphone w/ internal storage for stored music (when offline) or TIdal (when online). I'm not a fan of some of the battery quirks or software updates of iFi, though the Nano BL is about as close as I can think of. I'd be interested in the XDUOO XD-05 Plus...but I don't think it'll be a good match for the UE4 because of Output Impedance.

Thanks!

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 2
NM, you need a DAP that takes input from a laptop. I was going to suggest LG V or G series phones, but they don't take usb from laptop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back