Looking for a DAP that beats the LG V30+
Dec 3, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #62 of 79
So scanning through this topic, there isn't much available for a few hundred €$ that beats the LG V30. However, the only thing I wished my LG V30 had, is a 6,35mm jack. What would be an decent DAP, roughly comparable to the LG V30, but with a 6.5mm jack? Can't seem to find a lot...

Dec 3, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #63 of 79
So scanning through this topic, there isn't much available for a few hundred €$ that beats the LG V30. However, the only thing I wished my LG V30 had, is a 6,35mm jack. What would be an decent DAP, roughly comparable to the LG V30, but with a 6.5mm jack? Can't seem to find a lot...
That's a fairly large jack to put in a portable device.

Dec 3, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #64 of 79

I'm not much for Apple and Samsung claiming a 3.5mm jack makes everything thicker but you do realize that's about double the size?

Not to mention IEMs and portable headphones ie high sensitivity headphones come with 3.5mm plugs.

If a headphone comes with only 6.35mm plugs that means either the manufacturer has too narrow profit margins or just didn't bother to provide a cable like what the HD600 used to have stock (which was ditched on the HD650 because come on, even if you use it with a portable amp, the use case ie on a desk makes an adapter less of a pain to deal with. That's also why Grado sold them all in 6.35 but later on since they were being used as transportables (ie you take them somewhere quiet) with DAPs, at least some now come with 3.5mm instead.

If you don't mind not having all that much power for a lower sensitivity if not also higher impedance (eg my HD600 is around 96dB/1mW IIRC, plus 300ohms; my Westone2 for use with phones is 117dB/1mW, 33ohms; my ASG-1.5 is 120dB/1mW, 32ohms) headphone chances are if it's a relatively new one the cable is also detachable. Just buy a cable that ends in a 3.5mm plug. If you use it with desktop amps also then just get one that has an adapter so the bulk is only there when at your desk.

Dec 4, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #65 of 79
I agree it's a rather large plug for a portable player, but many of these DAP's that are available aren't the slimmest devices either. Thats why I thought there might be one available that has a larger hole. For now I'll just strap my LG V30 to my Xduoo xd-05 (which has a large hole :wink:)

Dec 4, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #66 of 79
I agree it's a rather large plug for a portable player, but many of these DAP's that are available aren't the slimmest devices either. Thats why I thought there might be one available that has a larger hole. For now I'll just strap my LG V30 to my Xduoo xd-05 (which has a large hole :wink:)

The width isn't the only dimension where the size is doubled. The length of the barrel is longer too. DAPs don't need to be iPhone-slim to have packaging issues as they lose out on space inside the device itself, on top which, there's the aforementioned "portable IEMs/headphones use 3.5mm and practically everything today has swappable cables" (sic). I mean even IEMs that cost less than $50 have removable cables. You could just get a new cable for your headphone that ends in a 3.5mm plug, then use a converter when using the XD-05 at home.

I mean I have a combo plug on my HD600 and when the power was out I just removed the 6.35mm adapter and hooked it up to my iBasso D-Zero.

May 1, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #67 of 79
How about an update to this question. I'm currently using the LG V60 running bit perfect audio through UAPP and the ibasso DC01 (linked to FIIO FH7 IEM’s). This setup has blown the A&K Kahn Alpha and the FIIO M11 Pro out of contention for my listening pleasure…. I'm still on the fence regarding the ibasso DX300 or the A&K SA700 as more portable and higher SQ option than what I'm currently using. Thoughts?

May 1, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #70 of 79
Personally, I thought that the 60 was the worst sound of the bunch. The 40 with the Meridian tuning is my favorite. The 30 with the B&O tuning was pretty impressive as well. I wouldn't use either as my stand alone portable source though. But they're nice to have because they're always with you.

May 1, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #71 of 79
Well I'm not using the headphone output so I'm not sure how much impact the V60's quad DAC is actually having on the SQ. Regardless the two DAP's I mentioned both would be an improvement on the SQ?

May 1, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #72 of 79
Well I'm not using the headphone output so I'm not sure how much impact the V60's quad DAC is actually having on the SQ. Regardless the two DAP's I mentioned both would be an improvement on the SQ?
Hard to say. That AK4493 is a nice chip, and a lot of people really like it. Not sure how much tuning Ibasso actually put into it. I wouldn't say it blows away the Kahn or M11 Pro, as it's more likely you subjectivity prefer the warmer, smoother tonality and presentation AKM chips are known for. It's my personal preference as well. If you're considering a dap, maybe look for one that implements dual 4493/4495/ or 4497 chips. I don't have the funds to spend on a top tier player. I purchased the Shanling M6 Pro, as it's reasonably priced, and could still be considered a top of the line product. I likely will not purchase another dap for quite some time. It sports dual AK4497 by the way.

May 1, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #73 of 79
I think it may have something to do with UAPP's ability to process whatever signal the LG is actually putting out. Truth is I really don't want to spend mega bucks on a DAP for a marginal improvement in SQ. The two devices I did mention I tried for a very short period of time and I wasn't struck with any sort of wow factor so I returned them quickly. I've also tried the ifi hip DAC and the ifi idsd diablo with the LG and they (besides the unacceptable amount of baggage the diablo added) also didn't add much to the SQ I'm getting from the 4493.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back