Looking for a DAP that beats the LG V30+
Aug 3, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 79
The V30 is considerably more powerful than 50mW. Has 75 steps of volume. Low and high gain. I'm not sure if you're familiar with it at all so let's not make assumptions. Drives my T50RPs, HE400i's, HD600s, etc. I had a X3 mark 1. This absolutely has more power.
No doubt this phone will drive these cans, but not to optimal, desirable levels imo. Couldn't push my 400s to where I wanted to take it. I've found that the HD 58X is about perfect in every way with the V30

Aug 3, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #18 of 79
No doubt this phone will drive these cans, but not to optimal, desirable levels imo. Couldn't push my 400s to where I wanted to take it. I've found that the HD 58X is about perfect in every way with the V30

That depends on the can to me. It may have left you wanting on the Planars and I can understand your feelings there, but a headphone that actually triggers the +60ohm mode is a different animal entirely from my experience.

I think the 58x are 150ohm? They should be great with it.

Aug 3, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #19 of 79
I'm skeptical the difference in sound quality between a "quad ESS DAC" and a "single dac of lower quality" is greater than the difference between a headphone driver designed for battery efficiency and one with a thought toward sound quality. Seems like a DAP is more likely to have that, all else being equal, even one that costs less than $200.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #20 of 79
I'm skeptical the difference in sound quality between a "quad ESS DAC" and a "single dac of lower quality" is greater than the difference between a headphone driver designed for battery efficiency and one with a thought toward sound quality. Seems like a DAP is more likely to have that, all else being equal, even one that costs less than $200.

So is everyone else until they actually listen to the V30, and then they realise you need a bit more than $200 to better it.

Sep 21, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #21 of 79
So is everyone else until they actually listen to the V30, and then they realise you need a bit more than $200 to better it.
No I believe in you. For 200 bucks you cant get a real good dap, so it is likely that LG is better. But I don't believe it is because of the 4 ess dac vs a single dac. The chips don't matter THAT much.

Sep 21, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 79
Get a previous generation Sony Walkman (A15/ A20 series) if you can find one. Much longer battery life, far more compact, will still be working long after the phone, physical controls instead of touch screen. Nice FM. Plenty ie enough power for portable headphones, largely faultless (sweet, spacious `musical') sound for portable use IMO but know I will be laughed at (but I don't give a monkey's) for even suggesting this :) There is still satisfaction in using a device designed to do just one thing well in my opinion?!?!?

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #23 of 79
I believe the answer is no. My V30 has way more power than my Shanling m2s. The m2s will barely push my HD 58x, but my phone can make them scream.
As for sound quality, the m2s sounds completely congested with no separation in comparison. The V30 is way more dynamic.
That being said, I can't wrap my head around it. You'd think paying 200 bucks for an audio only device would at least get you close. I'm going to purchase an Opus #1s to see how it compares. If it's also leagues away, I'll be done with daps. I can't justify spending any more on a device who's sole intent is playing music, but can't at least hang with the V30

Oct 7, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #24 of 79
I'm not convinced the Plenue D or M2 even outputs as much power as the V30 FWIW. The V30 pushes more than=to a LOT of portable amps. Source: I own a V30, Fiio E7, E18, Cayin C5 Spark Dac/Amp, Walkman A35, Schiit Fulla 2...
Any idea if it is possible to use E18 as an amp with the v30?

I have v30+ and just ordered an E18 because I like the idea of a portable amp that has dedicated media buttons to skip tracks. But now I'm wondering if the v30 will recognize the E18.

Oct 7, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #25 of 79
Any idea if it is possible to use E18 as an amp with the v30?

I have v30+ and just ordered an E18 because I like the idea of a portable amp that has dedicated media buttons to skip tracks. But now I'm wondering if the v30 will recognize the E18.

I never tested this but it should work without an issue. However, the E18 is a DAC Amp and it will bypass the ESS Sabre DAC that is in the V30. IMHO, the V30 sounds considerably better than the E18 and if the E18 is in fact more powerful, it's not by much. The amp section of the E18 is it's weakest point to me. Not from a power perspective, but it doesn't sound as good as say, the Cayin C5 Spark DAC Amp. I previously ran the two using the E18 as a DAC and the C5 Spark as the amp and it was notably better than the built in amp in the E18, or the built in DAC in the C5 Spark.

YMMV of course. Is there any reason you're looking to add an external amp to the V30+? Good luck.

Oct 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #27 of 79
I never tested this but it should work without an issue. However, the E18 is a DAC Amp and it will bypass the ESS Sabre DAC that is in the V30. IMHO, the V30 sounds considerably better than the E18 and if the E18 is in fact more powerful, it's not by much. The amp section of the E18 is it's weakest point to me. Not from a power perspective, but it doesn't sound as good as say, the Cayin C5 Spark DAC Amp. I previously ran the two using the E18 as a DAC and the C5 Spark as the amp and it was notably better than the built in amp in the E18, or the built in DAC in the C5 Spark.

YMMV of course. Is there any reason you're looking to add an external amp to the V30+? Good luck.
Thanks very much D Rob.

Well Ive had the Sony PHA-1A amp for a couple of years using it to plug HE400i into while listening to v30+.

The amp does add a little bit of warmth to the sound but mostly it's to be able to get more volume from the he400i. Unfortunately I have had problems with the Sony and never quite liked the build of it. And the E18 seemed like a nice choice since it has the physical skip track and reverse buttons right on it.

The v30 sounds excellent even without the amp. Incredible to have that kind of sound just right out of the smartphone.

Well the E18 came in just now:) will give it a go.

Edit: Wow, excellent. It works just fine. This is a much better product in build, features, accessories, and packaging than the Sony PHA-1A.

Well, with the E18 hooked up (bass boost on or off/ high and low gain) there is clearly something more happening with the sound of the he400i than there is when 400i is plugged in only to v30+, with high impedance mode triggered (triggered by leaving one earcup unplugged, then plugging into the v30 headphone jack, then lastly connecting the plug into the ear cup).

It isn't a night and day difference, but it is an improvement. I find myself listening for particular sounds in tracks that I test the audio with. A little bit more detail can be heard in those sounds and also, a but of warmth or smoothness is added to the overall sound and it sounds like a bit more energy is present. I cannot A/B the sound between the FiiO and the Sony because they Sony isn't producing sound lately, but I would say the sound quality sounds roughly the same, but again the FiiO is much better in every way aside from sound where it sounds like to me the E18 is better but not by much.

The Sony was $300. Looks cheap, has had connectivity issues as well as random mysterious issues, it always feels like a gamble plugging the Sony in regarding wether I will hear sound or not. And replacing a cable for it took hours on the phone, many weeks for part to arrive and it was the wrong part that arrived, which is incredible given the amount of time spent discussing the specific part that needed to be replaced.

Anyway, I feel like plugging the 400i only into the v30+ brings 90% of the way to hearing full capability of the headphone and then adding the E18 brings me to 95%, and maybe a higher end desk top amp like Jotunheim or even Mojo would bring it all the way.

V30 on it's own is very enjoyable and competent sound and with the E18 the sound is added to and built upon slightly. For $90 refurbished on Amazon I'm very happy with this.

Tbh, it was Z Reviews talking about how much he liked the dedicated media buttons is what got me looking at the E18 and yes they are a very nice feature and also allow to skip through videos on YouTube I just learned. I'd pay double the price I paid to have that feature so as to not have to constantly open up the phone and screen to have to skip tracks.

Sorry about the novel here off topic.

Back on topic. Since I don't download any songs, I only stream, I feel that the v30 is a nice DAP because it sounds good enough not to to really need an amp, plus as a DAP it also is a phone. Very good sound + texting, phone calls, YouTube, apps, high end screen quality, with an OK camera.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back