Looking for a dap supports Spotify
May 16, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #2 of 15
Another option would be to use any smartphone stacked with a small portable DAC  (OPPO, Chord, etc.)

May 16, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 15
The problem for stacking an amp and a phone is like it kinda defeats the purpose of being portable. I wouldn't want to carry a brick with me all the time lol. That's why I'm looking for a descent DAP that does the job.

May 16, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #6 of 15
  The problem for stacking an amp and a phone is like it kinda defeats the purpose of being portable. I wouldn't want to carry a brick with me all the time lol. That's why I'm looking for a descent DAP that does the job.

Fair enough - I completely understand. I only mentioned it as an alternative option because so many people already own a smartphone, these days, and smartphones generally function perfectly with Spotify. Therefore, if you already own a smartphone, you could save a bit of cash by buying something like an Oppo HA-2, and that stack  really wouldn't be much thicker than an Onkyo or Fiio Android DAP.

Different people have different priorities, and that's understandable
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 15
hmm cool since you mentioned that I'm actually really interested in oppo HA2. However, if I stack my phone with HA2, will it generate background hiss? I used Fiio X1 for my Westone UM 30 pro and I couldn't stand the hiss sound. 

May 16, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #9 of 15
  I have been doing some research and I know Fiio X7 supports Spotify. Is there any other DAPs out there that uses Android and supports steaming apps? 

also look into the new echobox music player that is being released in a few months...there is a thread on it, too.
http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=echobox

myself i'm probably heading towards the new HTC 10.
has a separate dac amp and is supposedly giving daps a run for their money.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

excerpt:  
was very skeptical of HTC's claims of excellent headphone audio on the HTC 10. Not only was I surprised at the results of both audio benchmarking and listening, but I found out my skepticism (as well as most everyone else with the same concerns) was unfounded.
Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 does a lot of things right, but clear audio isn't one of those things. Something in the digital to analog converter circuit introduces an extreme amount of noise and crosstalk into the analog output, and phones like the U.S. Galaxy S7 and LG G5sound pretty poor because of this.
After doing some testing, I was presented with results that just didn't make sense from the HTC 10 — it was better than it should be, even with extra work and attention to the analog circuit that brings signal from the DAC output to the headphone jack. You can only do so much magic to a bad signal. I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrectThe HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC. This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.
We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.
The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp

May 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 15
  also look into the new echobox music player that is being released in a few months...there is a thread on it, too.
http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch?search=echobox

myself i'm probably heading towards the new HTC 10.
has a separate dac amp and is supposedly giving daps a run for their money.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-10-audio-testing-boomsound-evolved

excerpt:  
was very skeptical of HTC's claims of excellent headphone audio on the HTC 10. Not only was I surprised at the results of both audio benchmarking and listening, but I found out my skepticism (as well as most everyone else with the same concerns) was unfounded.
Qualcomm's Snapdragon 820 does a lot of things right, but clear audio isn't one of those things. Something in the digital to analog converter circuit introduces an extreme amount of noise and crosstalk into the analog output, and phones like the U.S. Galaxy S7 and LG G5sound pretty poor because of this.
After doing some testing, I was presented with results that just didn't make sense from the HTC 10 — it was better than it should be, even with extra work and attention to the analog circuit that brings signal from the DAC output to the headphone jack. You can only do so much magic to a bad signal. I asked HTC how they did it, and found out that some assumptions about the HTC 10 audio hardware that the internet (and myself) has are incorrectThe HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp and isn't using the Snapdragon 820 DAC. This is pretty important, and why the HTC 10 sounds as good as it does.
We use a discrete DAC (not one on the SoC) in addition to the amp and have done a ton of PCB engineering to insure the best possible signal-to-noise ratio. Credit to HTC engineering, not off-the-shelf components.
The HTC 10 uses a stand-alone DAC as well as headphone amp

Maybe that's a personal thing but I don't find Echobox appealing lol. It is within my budget though so I still consider it as one of my options. 
As for phones, I totally agree with you on the Snapdragon processor. I currently use Moto Pure X and I think it also has a Snapdragon 820. The sound quality is really just meh, that's why I've been looking for a DAP.

May 17, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #12 of 15
  Maybe that's a personal thing but I don't find Echobox appealing lol. It is within my budget though so I still consider it as one of my options. 
As for phones, I totally agree with you on the Snapdragon processor. I currently use Moto Pure X and I think it also has a Snapdragon 820. The sound quality is really just meh, that's why I've been looking for a DAP.

i hear you on the form factor....while the echobox's flask design doesn't bug me it still looks a bit bulky.
.. i'm more into 'light and slim' and truly portable...as in 'walking around with it in my pocket and is unobtrusively slim/lightweight'.

Sep 5, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 15
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G (Wolfson WM-1811)

Strange that my Spotify rig ends up being very cheap and easy. It's not endgame by any means and ends up being almost embarrassingly low cost.

I use an old Galaxy Android and some cheap $10 QKZ W1 PRO Chinese IEMs? Lol.

I just sold a pretty big vinyl collection but am heart warmed to find about 90% of it on Spotify! Cheers. Now I need to get my Bluetooth rig running!

May 24, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #14 of 15
i hear you on the form factor....while the echobox's flask design doesn't bug me it still looks a bit bulky.
.. i'm more into 'light and slim' and truly portable...as in 'walking around with it in my pocket and is unobtrusively slim/lightweight'.

Where is the echo box designed and where is it produced?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back