Looking for a DAP/AMP in one unit for under $400. Best options?
Jan 1, 2016 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

gohanssjn

100+ Head-Fier
So for a long time now I have been using a 32GB iPod Touch 2G + Fiio E17.  It sounds great for my gear (Sennheiser HD598, Shure SRH840, Shure SRH440, Shure SE310), and I love using it with my laptop on the go.

However, it's becoming a bit cumbersome to haul around all the time and the storage is getting a bit thin for my tastes.  I was thinking of getting an iBasso DX90 + 2x 128GB cards.

Are there any other options out there in my price range?  Most of my music is in mp3, FLAC or ALAC.  My playlists are all in iTunes, but surely there must be a way to convert them for another player, right?

Also, I am in the US.

Thanks for any help!

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 5
The DX90, FiiO X5ii, X5 Classic, Cayin N5, all good choices.

Do have a close look at the Cayin N5. It's one of the newest devices in your price range, and quite good.

Jan 2, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #4 of 5
The DX90, FiiO X5ii, X5 Classic, Cayin N5, all good choices.

Do have a close look at the Cayin N5. It's one of the newest devices in your price range, and quite good.

Out of these, does anyone know which would have the least/no background hiss?  That's one of my biggest issues finding equipment to use with my SE310.  Hiss in near silent sections really comes through.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 5
The X5 Classic and X5ii are as close to silent as you can get. I don't know about the SE310, but none of my headphones pick up any amount of hiss.

The Cayin N5 is another choice as long as you don't intend to use its 2.5mm TRRS balanced output, which produces lots of hiss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back