Looking for a DAC...
Mar 1, 2016 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ReelDeal

Head-Fier
I have Vibro-tuned Blackwoods from Zach at ZMF and a Taboo MKIII from Steve at Decware. (Both fantastic pieces of gear and even better guys to work with) Now I'm ready for comparable DAC. I'm going to go with used to keep the cost down. I'm trying to keep the price below $600. I'm setting it there to include one dac that Steve Deckert recommends. Other than that, I've been looking around and have a few others I'm interested in. Would love to get first-hand impressions on them, or any others that you would recommend. BTW, I'm using a Macbook Pro with USB out, though, I'm interested in trying the optical out (Just discovered it has that) and possibly getting a USB to SPDIF converter down the road (or sooner, if need be). Also, I need output voltage of at least 2v. That is pretty much the standard, but my Schiit Modi 2 Uber is 1.5v. I need just a little more juice than that. 2v is a 33% increase, so that will be fine.

So, here are the one's I'm looking at...

Teac UD501 - This is the unit Steve Deckert likes. 
Rega DAC - Seems to have a lot of positive reviews
Audiolab M-DAC - Not sure if this can be had in my price range
Bel Canto DAC2 - Or, any of their other models that are in this range
CIAudio VDA-2 - I really like what I read about this one
Peachtree DAC ITx - This is much cheaper than some of the others, but the reviews seem very good.
EAD 7000 MKIII - Zach at ZMF loves this one. He is sold on 'R2R'. They are hard to find.

Thanks for your input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back