Looking for a dac to make my HD650 a bit more fun
Mar 11, 2011 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

lup31337

New Head-Fier
Searched the forum for quite a while to find a dac that meets my needs but haven't reached to a solid conclusion yet. Right now i am using a 4 year old creative x-fi fatal1ty sound card as a source. My amp is a Little dot MKV.

I want a dac that will give me more bass slam. The mids are fine the way they are now and the top end is maybe a bit bright if i crank up the volume ... so a dac that is not harsh. My budget is 400$.
To sum it up : looking for a dac with good bass impact and less harshness.

Thanks

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
Searched the forum for quite a while to find a dac that meets my needs but haven't reached to a solid conclusion yet. Right now i am using a 4 year old creative x-fi fatal1ty sound card as a source. My amp is a Little dot MKV.

I want a dac that will give me more bass slam. The mids are fine the way they are now and the top end is maybe a bit bright if i crank up the volume ... so a dac that is not harsh. My budget is 400$.
To sum it up : looking for a dac with good bass impact and less harshness.

Thanks

How do you know the harshness is not in the recording? 

At the level you're looking at there's not much difference in the way the DACs are going to sound.  Any of the popular mid level dacs would be fine.

But the end result would probably not be any different than EQing the rig you already have.

Quote:
I would just do some EQing. I also find the HD 650's to be bright. Turn down the upper mids and treble.

Ditto on the EQing.

Btw, when you say that the 650s are bright, what are you comparing them too?

USG

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
How do you know the harshness is not in the recording? 

At the level you're looking at there's not much difference in the way the DACs are going to sound.  Any of the popular mid level dacs would be fine.

But the end result would probably not be any different than EQing the rig you already have.

Ditto on the EQing.

Btw, when you say that the 650s are bright, what are you comparing them too?

USG

They are brighter than all my other hp's: HD 485, K 601, NE-6 (which are all dark-ish).

Mar 17, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 6
The HD650's are normally considered a bit darkish, which I find as well.

And personally I'm a bit against EQíng. It works, but it still sounds less natural than actually having gear with flat response line.
At least, this is true to the extend that I have experimented.

And why are we talking about this? This is the source component forum. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back