Looking for a DAC that Synergizes well with the Earmax Pro
Jul 29, 2008 at 4:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bergman2

500+ Head-Fier
my m-audio firewire just isnt cutting it anymore in dac duties...ive already tried a bunch of tube dacs but the end result is horrible when mated with warmth of the earmax pro (it ends up being a warm, muddy mess---perhaps too much of a good thing)...i'm figuring a ss dac would be the best way to go--it should have coax, usb, OR toslink input AND unbalanced OR balanced outputs (i'm not picky)...and it shouldn't cost more than $600 new or used...any ideas???

Jul 29, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #3 of 5
i'm not familiar with the stello having never auditioned it, but you are the 2d person who has mentioned it besides a used benchmark and lavry...theres another one added to the short list

Aug 6, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #5 of 5
For what it is worth, I am currently trying my new Earmax Pro with USB Monica. Way too early to say definitively how it is working out but so far so good. Monica is very analogue in sound as a non-OS DAC. But she is SS - it is not tubes upon tubes. The analogue quality seems to synergise well with the EMP warmth so far. It is the opposite extreme of digital for sure.

With Monica the price is right: about $350 for the USB version and perhaps a bit less for the coaxial. But you have to choose which.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back