Looking for a DAC, need recommendations please.
Oct 31, 2012 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SBranson

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been out of the loop for 6-7 years but I am piecing together a headphone system and I could use some help choosing a DAC.

As a source, I intend to use my 160G Ipod only and would like a DAC to bypass the internal one.  I have looked around for the licensed DACs but I'm sure I'm missing some.
I would like it to be portable as I use my system while working at home and have workspace in 2 different rooms and I walk around a bit.  

My headphones will be Audeze LCD2's and amp will be JDS Labs O2.  Both are in the post at the moment, due in a week, and will be replacing my Denon D2000s/bithead.

I was looking at the Cypher Solo but I was told by that it might be a bit lush for the LCD2s so I'm looking for alternatives to consider.

For the sake of limits my budget is around $300'ish but I'm not adverse to waiting for the right deal to come along and stretching that a little if needed though I am more inclined to look for something for less.  

I won't be spending $500+ though for at least a year, if ever, so something that will be better than the ipod's DAC and complement the LCD2/O2 is what I'm looking for.

I'm having trouble searching so even some search terms or links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Stuart

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 3
The cheapest external DAC I know of that connects to the Apple's LOD port is the HRT iStreamer ($155), but it's not really a "portable" DAC.
Easy to carry in a pocket, but seems to be more for stationary use.

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 3
Thanks.  I was looking at that one but it needs to be plugged in to AC.

Just to be sure, "portable" for me doesn't me going outside or riding the bus or anything.  Just as I am using with the Denons and bithead, I put the bithead and Ipod in a shoulder "purse" and then I can get up from my table to go to from room to room.  It's not a lot of moving around but when I do, I don't want to have to stop the music and unplug to go to another room and plug in there.  It may not seem like much of a hassle but it's not something I want to have to think about while I'm working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back