Looking for a DAC for studio monitor and headphones
Dec 9, 2011 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Heimdallr

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
i have a pair of studio monitors and i'm need to buy a DAC (i'm stuck with onboard sound right now) that i can connect also with and external headphone amplifier, I see that most DACs have only two RCA outputs and i need those for my studio monitors, am i correct saying that i will not be able to connect a headphone amplifier to it in this scenario? Ex: Firestone Spitfire > Studio Monitor > Cute Beyond > DT-990 Pro.
At the moment i'm leaning towards the DacMagic that is pretty popular and has a a lot of connections.
Are there other products in the same price range worth considering?

thanks for the help
Regards

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
[size=10pt]Today you can find a lot of DACs with volume control, headphone and line out.[/size]
[size=10pt]In essence a pre-amp with digital inputs.[/size]
[size=10pt]Have a look at the Firestone Fubar4-Plus[/size]

Thanks for the answer, i considered them too (TubeMagic D2, Fubar3 for example) but if i want to add a better  headphones amplifier to my system later i can't without the proper connections (i'd like to try a tube amplifier soon or later without having to change DAC).

Regards

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 7
I'm running the Asus Essence One and it has balanced XLR outputs and unbalanced RCA's - you could use the RCA's for the headphone amp and the XLR's for your monitors?  Last pair of monitors I had (M-Audio BX5's or something I sold them about 5 years ago) had XLR inputs. 

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
I'm running the Asus Essence One and it has balanced XLR outputs and unbalanced RCA's - you could use the RCA's for the headphone amp and the XLR's for your monitors?  Last pair of monitors I had (M-Audio BX5's or something I sold them about 5 years ago) had XLR inputs. 

Yes i have  RCA, TRS and XLR inputs, i was considering the Xonar Essence One but i didn't see yet a lot of review being a new device.
I did take a look at the new TubeMagic D2 and it has the unbalanced output for both an amplifier and the studio monitors,
My options so far are:
  • DacMagic
  • TubeMagic D2
  • Xonar Essence One
  • Hlly SMK-III

i will look around for some review of them.
thanks again.

Dec 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 7
The Meier StageDAC has two RCA outputs, one tied to a volume know and one that has fixed output. I sometimes use StageDAC to feed my headamp and the variable output goes to some active monitors.

It is a bit more expensive than your prices range, but it is a really good DAC. Much better than the DacMagic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back