Looking for a DAC for home studio on a laptop
Jan 14, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 9
I have a question regarding the emu0404 usb. I have a rca to mini 1/8" stereo plug. I want to run it through the mic in line and do some recording. Where it says Mic / Hi-Z / Line inputs, which one would I use? A or B? If I use one of them, can I achieve stereo?

Secondly can it prevent electrical interference? I tried to record through my laptop's onboard soundcard and there's a lot of static noise.

Jan 14, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadFi Fanatic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a question regarding the emu0404 usb. I have a rca to mini 1/8" stereo plug. I want to run it through the mic in line and do some recording. Where it says Mic / Hi-Z / Line inputs, which one would I use? A or B? If I use one of them, can I achieve stereo?

Secondly can it prevent electrical interference? I tried to record through my laptop's onboard soundcard and there's a lot of static noise.

then you would need an ADC AND a DAC.

first of all..

a microphone signal is an ANALOGUE signal. that would need to be converted to 0s and 1s in order for your recording software to use it.. the DAC comes in when playing back the material you have already recorded, ie playing the DIGITAL file from the software , converting that to analogue and out to the speaker or power amp.

I would reccomend something such as the presonus firepod or the tascam fireone.

so ... just get a USB interface(has ADC and DAC in one) such as the aforementioned units and you are good to go. It would hook up via the USB port.

Jan 14, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Those things you've suggested is out of my budget even if it's used
frown.gif
I already know what ADC and DAC is, just that I'm so used to typing DAC that I forgot. So yes I need both an ADC and a DAC.

Jan 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Wasn't there a Behringer unit with those facilities within that sort of price range? I remember seeing one on-line a few months ago. It could have been a used on on eBay though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back