Looking for a DAC and amplifier
Oct 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SSSN

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently have a pair of HD650s and InEar Stagediver 2 IEMs. I am looking for a DAC and amp that can power both of them, looks nice and isn't too expensive.

Requirements:

- Needs to power my HD650 properly (at least as much power as an O2)
- Needs to be dead-quiet with BA IEMs
- Nice look and feel
- DAC portion needs to work with ASIO and be pop-free
- Less than $500

I heavily prefer a combo unit or a stack of similar items.

Here's what I went through already:

Schiit Magni/Modi stack: one item dead on arrival, build quality seriously lacking
JDS Labs The Element: pot gets dirty very quickly (=scratchy sound when changing volume), DAC pops
O2/ODAC: O2 is fine, but ODAC pops too

I am in Europe. Currently considering Schiit Jotunheim with integrated DAC and the Matrix M-Stage HPA-3U.

Oct 2, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 5
What do you mean the DAC pops? That's not terminology commonly used to describe the quality of a DAC. Are you sure it's not something else that's popping?

Anyway, for your budget, it's hard to beat the iFi Audio micro iDSD all-in-one system.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Mann I really wish you could find a Schiit Valhalla. But oh well, if you want something for Sennheisers, tubes are the way to go IMO.
In the case with the HD650's alone, there's already a touch of warmth so it's one of the pairs where tubes or solid state are personal preference, as many people may find it too warm with tubes.
If you just want the most wonderful sound possible, I'd say get a tube amp like the Schiit Vali, and use it with the Modi.
If you could ever get the Valhallas though, do save up for them. They're something like a kingpin of Amps, just the way the HD650's (and 600's for that matter) are something like a kingpin for headphones.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 5
What do you mean the DAC pops? That's not terminology commonly used to describe the quality of a DAC. Are you sure it's not something else that's popping?

Anyway, for your budget, it's hard to beat the iFi Audio micro iDSD all-in-one system.

X 1 Pinky   it would almost be perfect for that setup.  
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back