Looking for a DAC/AMP solution under $300
Feb 16, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Audio-gd aim for neutral and uncolored, except their 'musical' line, so if that is not to your taste then maybe stay clear, but I would never call them 'flat and disinteresting' unless you are deliberately looking for a colored system.

Sounds nice to me. I always prefer a neutral amp and use interconnects to color my system as my wish. For a low-budget system I think some colored gear may sounds weired....

Here's my options:
Audio GD's NFB15.32 or Audinst's HUD-mx2.

Any suggestion? 

Feb 16, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:
Sounds nice to me. I always prefer a neutral amp and use interconnects to color my system as my wish. For a low-budget system I think some colored gear may sounds weired....

Here's my options:

Any suggestion? 

Sorry haven't heard either of your suggestions so can't give an opinion.

Feb 19, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Here's my options:

Any suggestion? 

Unless they've added more than Android/IPhone support in the MX2, the NFB-15.32 will probably output more power and take more digital inputs (toslink, coax and USB vs just USB). Another big theoretical advantage that the NFB-15.32 has is the inclusion of a internal power transformer instead of using USB or a switching power supply. I also found the big plastic switches and Alps volume pot on the Audio GD to be much more solid feeling than the small metal switches and plastic knob on the Audinst. 

The Audinst does convert USB to toslink and can be used as digital transport. It is also about 1/4 the size and can run off just USB power, making it more of a transportable dac/amp.

I've never owned both at the same time, so I can't do a head to head comparison on SQ unfortunately.

Edit - turns out the new HUX-MX2 can take and output SPDIF, so that's another improvement over the original.

Feb 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #19 of 19
I am looking for something similar, I need USB and optical with line out as well. NFB 15.32 looks good for the price. There are others I have found that are cheaper for what you a looking for but not many opinions on them and some have a few shortcomings.

Aune X1 (looks to be only 16 bit and not 24 bit for USB)
Audio engine D1 same as above I believe
HA INFO DA1 (looks like it has everything needed but can find almost nothing on reviews)
Fubar IV
Maverick audio D1+ (have heard the headphone amp is not good at all so I have ruled it out)
TianYun ZERO (may be in the same boat as maverick)
I believe there are options from iBasso and Lackerton but more than these but still under your $300 limit.

Let me know what you decide on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back