Looking for a DAC/Amp/Preamp to pair with HD650 & AirMotiv 5's
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TonyRS

Formerly known as ImToeKnee
Hey guys,

In a little bit of a pickle. Currently looking for a DAC/Preamp to pair up with my HD650 and AirMotiv 5 for under $500. Any suggestions?

Currently using the M&M stack, but I would like to control the AirMotiv's volume when I'm not using headphones.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 6
  Hey guys,

In a little bit of a pickle. Currently looking for a DAC/Preamp to pair up with my HD650 and AirMotiv 5 for under $500. Any suggestions?

Currently using the M&M stack, but I would like to control the AirMotiv's volume when I'm not using headphones.

I currently have the Airmotiv 4's + HD 600 and I use them with my Audio GD NFB 10ES2. It gives the headphone/speakers a nice neutral sound, plus you'll be able to utilize the balanced cables for both of them :).

Jul 18, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 6
I have a DacMagic Plus running off a Macbook Pro into AirMotiv 5s via the XLR connects.
The RCAs run to a Schitt Lyr 2 with a pair of matched NOS Telefunken E88CCs. This powers my LCD-2 phones.  
It sounds sweet and powerful through both the AirMotivs and the LCD-2s.
I highly recommend this config.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 6
I've got an older DacMagic up-scaling model (no internal amp one with filter selection button) all be it with internal tweaks, paired with a recently restored Pioneer SA7100 and I can certainly say the HD650's sound amazing on that setup. I tend to find the HD650's a little flat and dull for want of a better word on other stuff but I fell in love with that combo. I'm into Gothic / Metal and Industrial and prefer other cans for the heavy stuff but have found nothing better yet for vocals - now to steal my mates HD650's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back