looking for a da/amp rec for sennheiser hd598
Dec 10, 2014 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

optimumoptimo

New Head-Fier
ok so i have a pair of sennheiser hd 598 and i been doing a bit of research and looking at amps and dac's under 200 and what im wondering is
so far from my research im leaning towards the audioengine d1 dac/amp and was wondering if this is the best option i did look into the magni/modi but i need a usb in for music and also for gaming a optical in and you only get one or the other with the magni/modi so any feedback would be helpfull thank you very much

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 9
At 10 ohms, the output impedance of the D1 is a little high for the 50 ohm HD598. It should work, but I would prefer to see it lower.

What you can do is get the D1, and then later, if you ever want to use headphones that are lower impedance, you could keep the D1 as a DAC, and connect the lineout jacks to a different amp that has a lower output impedance (like the Magni).

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 9
No, as far as I know they do not. You can mix and match DACs & amps - they don't have to be from the same company. The Magni has RCA line-in jacks, so any DAC with RCA line-out jacks (like the D1) will work.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 9
oh ya one thing i was gonna ask is so if i hook the optical to my soundcard that should work with games for more of a surround sound environment right with the digital stuff they use in them right

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 9
oh i also see another dac/amp and it also has usb and optical called the creative e5 anyone know anyhting about this one how it preforms and if it would drive these sennheisers also i have some klipsh image x10s it should work for them i assume

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #8 of 9
The Soundblaster E5 is brand new - and I agree it looks interesting. The amp has a very good opamp and if they have implemented it well, it has the potential of being an excellent value for all the features it has. I have not seen any specs on the actual amp.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 9
well thank you very much for your help i just emailed audioengine to see if i can have usb and optical plgged in at the same time and just switch them through the sound devices on the computer hopefully u can thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back