Looking for a custom/universal similar to Heir Audio 8.A
Nov 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

snappyaxolotl

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a custom IEM, and after a little research I think it seems the Heir Audio 8.A is what I am looking for. However my only concern with the 8.A is that it's hard to drive. 

The problem with that is I will be mostly using them with a Sansa Clip+ as it offers portability and ease of access, and purchasing an amp seems to limit that, although I will purchase an inexpensive amp if necessary.

I'm hoping to look for a universal, universal custom, or a custom IEM similar to the 8.A but easier to drive and maybe less thick. I'm coming from a Sennheiser IE80, and I love it's soundstage and plentiful bass, and I'm hoping to get an upgrade to the sound quality.

Here's a bit of info regarding my usage and preferred sound:

-Usage: These will be my primary headphones for a long tine, so I hope they last a long time. I use IEMs usually on the go, and occasionally when playing basketball or running. I also use them for performing (I play alto sax). When not on the go I often watch videos, play video games, watch movies, call and conference, and play audio related media on my computer. Sometimes I sleep with them on.

-Song Genres: I listen to pop and DJ (popular songs), rap, electronic (trance, techno, house, synth pop), soundtracks and instrumental, jazz, classical, song remixes and parodies, and rock most often.

-Sound Signature: I like to have resolution and 3D in my sound. I value clarity, coherence and detail. I'm looking for a natural, realistic, punchy and transparent sound, as if I were in the recording room listening to the vocals and instruments playing.

I'm looking for advice, suggestions and input (new to customs), so thanks for any of your help! Looking forward to it :)

Nov 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #2 of 4
It's going to be risky getting into anything competitive to 8.A while still relying on your Clip+ as sole portable source. I would recommend hitting the mid-market with something with a different (cough, better, cough) sound than the IE80. Something like Etymotic ER4PT, HiFiMan RE272, Audio Technica CK100 come to mind. You're also going to want to be careful with physical activity and in-ears, because as your blood pressure rises, you are more likely to sustain damage to your hearing from loud noises.

Nov 27, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
It's going to be risky getting into anything competitive to 8.A while still relying on your Clip+ as sole portable source. I would recommend hitting the mid-market with something with a different (cough, better, cough) sound than the IE80. Something like Etymotic ER4PT, HiFiMan RE272, Audio Technica CK100 come to mind. You're also going to want to be careful with physical activity and in-ears, because as your blood pressure rises, you are more likely to sustain damage to your hearing from loud noises.

After a little researching, I understand that an amp will improve the sound quality, but some high-tier CIEMs should work fine without them. From what I've read, the SE 5-way, JH16 Pro, and EM4 seem to do fine without an amp.

I wouldn't think the RE272 or CK100 is superior to the IE80, I think the IE80 are more fitted for what I'm looking for compared to the CK100 or RE272. From what I've read, the ER4PT seems to focus mainly on detail retrieval, and the sound is less "fun" than the IE80.

Thank you for the advice regarding IEMs/physical activity, I'll keep that in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back