Looking for a compact mixer.
Feb 26, 2014 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

soccerdude84

Head-Fier
Right now I'm using the Behringer Xenyx 502 and features wise it's perfect for what I need: 3 stereo inputs and a headphones output. The size of the unit is ideal because it's small enough to mount on a cymbal stand. Sound quality wise it's acceptable for my situation, but my major complaint is the god awful power plug. It's a proprietary 3 pin that just barely fits in the slot and doesn't feel snug at all. Probably about once a week it loses contact and causes a power surge in the unit.

So I was just wondering if any reputable company makes a compact mixer instead of the usual 12+ channel behemoth units.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Cheap mixers can be a nightmare. All those moving parts and pots to get sticky. Decent mixer is $1,000+ even now.

There isn't much choice around either since most people now use a multi-channel audio interface instead.

Last time I looked at the market I couldn't find anything small and cheap with the quality and reliability I was looking for.

Closest was the Mackie 402 VLZ4 but that's twice the price of the Berhinger.

I ended up with a full sized Soundcraft M4. Which I don't recomend because the power supply blew up after 15 months and several of the knobs have come loose.

Alternatives < $200 are the Allen & Heath Z10 & Yamaha MG 102C.

For a good, clean, no frills DJ style mixer I like the Denon DN X120 . The Allen & Heath Xone 22 is a possible alternative.

Feb 27, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, the Mackie 402 unfortunately doesn't have enough inputs

Does anyone have any experience with Alto Professional?

http://www.amazon.com/Alto-Professional-ZMX52-5-Channel-Preamps/dp/B004TM31QK/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1393494218&sr=8-10&keywords=alto+professional+mixer

this is the closest thing I could find

Feb 27, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 4
Peavey PV 6 or PV 6 USB are an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back