Looking for a combination headphone/speaker amplifier than can power modded Fostex T50RPs and Micca MB42Xs.
Dec 27, 2014 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ca5bah

New Head-Fier
Hi, I currently am using a Fiio E10K for my modded T50RPs and the old Lepai $20 amp to power the Miccas, both require more power.. I'm looking for a combined solution that can easily power both. My budget is sub-$200 and I'm not having much luck, it appears as if most solutions are $250 or more. Are there any less popular solutions that I am missing?

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 4
Topping tp60, emotiva mini-x and the new fusion flex. Else, a good vintage receiver.
Just throwing something out there..

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #3 of 4
If the Emotiva Mini X had a headphone amplifier I'd be all over it, but sadly it doesn't. Do you know if the Audioengine N22 has enough power for the hungry planar magnetics that the T50RPs are?

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #4 of 4
Most modern amps have a dedicated headphone amp circuit which is usually crap or mediocre at best.
I seem to remember hearing that marantz makes decent headphone outs on some of their amps, though I am not sure about it.
Vintage receivers usually have the headphone running from the speaker amp section in series with a 200-600 ohm resistor. They have more potential, especially if modded.
You can also use your headphones from the speaker output with the proper cabling, though too high gain and noise can be potential problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back