Looking for a closed pair of semi portable headphones for around $300
May 23, 2015 at 9:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moodyda

New Head-Fier
I have been researching the internet and demoing different types of closed headphones and would like to hear from anyone who has experience with any of these types of headphones.  I will primarily use these at home as well as when traveling.  I am looking for closed because I already own a set of Grado 325is, Sennheiser HD 590, Shure Se 535(iem), and various bluetooth models.  I will mostly power these using a Fiio X3ii as well as my smartphone, so I want them to be fairly efficient.

I had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-m50x and quickly returned them upon purchasing a set of Sony mdr-1a's. I demoed the Sony's at a local store (mdr-1a and mdr-1r) and easily chose the 1a.  I do like the somewhat colored sound of the Sony mdr-1a and even prefer these over anything that I currently own.  I like the fact that they are not fatiguing and provide a nice bass punch.  They do have nice highs as well as a nice open soundstage.  I also really like the fit and feel of the Sony's.

While it may seem that I have found the perfect set I cannot help but wonder if there may be something else out there that can outperform these with the sound signature I am interested.  Most Audiophile types would prefer a more analytical neutral type of sound and I believe that's where all the highest rated phones are based on.

Other closed units that interest me are as follows;
Denon AH-D600 
NAD Viso HP50
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0
Beyer Dynamic T5i
Oppo Pm-3
Hifiman HE 400i (open though)
PSB M4u
V-moda crossfade m-100
Audio Technica ATHmrs7

Anyone who has experience with these and who may have also heard the Sony's would of the greatest assistance, but of course all opinions would be appreciated.  

Thanks,
Dan

May 23, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 6
You can cross the HE-400i off your list. They are way too big and heavy for comfortable portable use. From your list, I have heard the Sony MDR-1a, Beyerdynamic T5(1?)i, PSB M4U and V-MODA M-100 although I've only listened to the M-100 extensively enough to give a valid opinion. I've owned the M-100 for well over two years and I can attest to it's isolation, durability, efficiency and scalability with an amp. I have dropped them onto concrete, walked with them through several thunderstorms and torrential downpours, used them as PC speakers with my desktop amp and, of course, used them to listen to music.

The M-100 isn't as comfortable as the MDR-1a although I don't think any headphone is. They have a bit of a clamp until they loosen up and a significant number of people have had discomfort with the earpads being too small. Since the ear cups don't rotate at all, wearing it around your neck is slightly uncomfortable as the ear cups can press against your throat and chin.

As far as sound is concerned, lots of textured bass, a slightly recessed midrange, and sparkly, non-fatiguing highs. Pairing them with an dedicated DAC or amp (Aune T1, FiiO E17, FiiO E9, Vamp Verza, cMoyBB v2.03) can yield better bass control, more forward mids, and a larger sound stage depending on the DAC/amp. At times it can sound a bit congested due to the overbearing bass, but this depends more on the type of music you're listening to. Modern music like EDM, pop, hip-hop, etc. sounds great while older stuff like rock, acoustic, jazz and classical feel compressed and closed-in.

They're very efficient, so I'm okay using them with just my Android phone. Using it with my portable DAC/amp does sound significantly better, but in a noisy environment, like a subway car or city street, the differences are less noticeable and the phone by itself sounds fine.

Honestly, the MDR-1a sounds like it suits your needs perfectly. With the exception of the Oppo PM-3, which is a planar magnetic, I don't think any of the headphones on your list will be significantly different enough from the MDR-1a to justify a purchase.

May 23, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for your helpful insight.  What do you think of the Denons listed.  I have read that they are incredible at bass reproduction and have a great soundstage to boot.  Also, some referenced their sound akin to the old B&W Nautilus series speakers, which I truly enjoyed years ago.

May 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #4 of 6
I just remembered that I gave the Denons a quick listen at a meet last year. The only thing that stands out in my mind is that the sound stage was huge compared to the M-100. As for portability, they're pretty big and are a little awkward around the neck.

May 24, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 6
I just remembered that I gave the Denons a quick listen at a meet last year. The only thing that stands out in my mind is that the sound stage was huge compared to the M-100. As for portability, they're pretty big and are a little awkward around the neck.

Did you notice the "B&W loudspeaker feel" that has been described from the Denon?

May 24, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 6
I have little experience with loudspeakers. Space and money constraints are what led me to the headphone lifestyle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back