Looking for a closed headphone for under $400ish
Jun 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JBal4

100+ Head-Fier
Hi a have several sets of decent open and semi-open headphones but am now looking to get a pair of closed headphones.  My other pairs include AKG K240mkii, Sen. HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, and Parrot Zik.  The amp/dac setup I am using is the E17+E09K combo by Fiio, and I listen to all sorts of music form classical to dubstep.  I am looking for a pair that has clear mids and highs but also plenty of deep solid bass that does not bleed into or take away from the rest of the sound.

I am currently looking at AKG K550, Denon D600, V-Moda M-100, Shure 940, and AudioTechnica M-50 

I have heard that the bass in the k550 is there but does not have very much impact, and has issues with the seal.  I have am also worried that the M100 would be to similar to the crosfade lp, which the bass seems to take from most of the rest of the sound. 

I have no experience with any of these so any opinions would be extremely helpful.
L3000.gif
Thanks
L3000.gif

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 6
The new Denons are not up to the standard set by the previous gen. I'd recommend going for a pair of D5000 or D7000 over the D600. Otherwise, I am a huge fan of the M-100, but I listen to almost exclusively EDM so my preference maybe diff from yours. 
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed check out their wall of fame, the K550 has been surpassed by several newer headsets already. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 6
Very smooth and fast, and less emphasized vs the LP2 (8db vs 10+db).  You should just try to listen to them yourself at a local store, everyone has diff preferences. The M100 are imho as good as it gets for contemporary genres, for other genres... not so much. :p 

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 6
Marshall Monitors would probably be what you want because they have a lot of clarity,  but they have a burn in time of about 100 hours. M 50's no way, they've got a bad soundstage. 

I have the V-Moda M100 but I like the Marshalls better they're very similar but the Marshalls have a bit more clarity in the bass and better mids. Marshall Monitors are extremely ugly though, while V-Moda M100's are very stylish plus they have a customizable appearance. I've had durability issues with V-Moda before but none so far with the M 100's. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks the monitors seem very nice. like you said though they are not the best looking, but they are not the worst looking either. lol

has anyone had any issues with the earcups rubbing on your ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back