looking for a clear upgrade path from a Matrix M-Stage
Dec 12, 2010 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Balmoral

100+ Head-Fier
As the title suggest I am looking for suggestions for a amp that would be a clear and substantial upgrade from my ver1 M-Stage.  Price would have to be no more than 1.5k and I think I would like to stay with SS, but won't totally rule out tubes if that's what it would take to get to that "next level".  The headphones I am currently using are in my signature, but I'm also considering getting the T1s.

Thanks all for any recommendations you could offer,
smile.gif

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 5
In my honest opinion, if you are looking to spend that kind of cash, you should seek out better headphones first. That's what I am doing. I say this because the headphones determines the majority of how a setup sounds.

Two exceptions to the above:

If you already absolutely love the sound of a particular headphone, therefore it's unlikely you will find something "better". 

If you are going for a tube amp or a distinctly voiced SS amp, searching for that elusive synergy between the amp and your headphones. 

Jack

Dec 13, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 5
I love the overall sound of the 650s, but I was looking for something that would add a better sense of depth and separation of the instruments. More air if you will...Not sure if that's the most accurate description but that's the best way I can think of to describe it.  I should have probably added that I'm also on the hunt for a dac.  I bought a Wadia 170i transport and figured I'd look at the StageDac or maybe the gd-ref 5 in case I want to go balanced later.  I guess I'm not really sure what part of the chain will give the biggest boost towards the sound I am looking for.
frown.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
I love the overall sound of the 650s, but I was looking for something that would add a better sense of depth and separation of the instruments. More air if you will...Not sure if that's the most accurate description but that's the best way I can think of to describe it.  I should have probably added that I'm also on the hunt for a dac.  I bought a Wadia 170i transport and figured I'd look at the StageDac or maybe the gd-ref 5 in case I want to go balanced later.  I guess I'm not really sure what part of the chain will give the biggest boost towards the sound I am looking for.
frown.gif

Give a pair of HD800's a listen if you get a chance. They are within your budget and may provide you with the additional sense of depth and instrument separation that you are looking for.

Jack

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks Jack.  I appreciate you responding.  If I get a chance I definitely will check em out.  I thought the bass was lacking a bit on the 800's though. I like the bass of the 650's so I don't know how I'll do with that....Guess I won't know till I try em.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back