Looking for a cheap closed portable
Jul 28, 2008 at 4:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a cheap closed portable headphone (around $50) that has decent isolation and doesn't leak much for when I will be traveling in about 3 weeks. I prefer a smooth warm balanced sound that doesn't emphasize upper mids or treble. I don't want a recessed midrange though some treble rolloff is ok. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 5
check out the Sennheiser HD280. It has sound characteristic similar to what you were looking for. They isolate better than almost any other phones out there. They are a little on the big side, but they fold up. They're also a little over your budget, but you can find deals on them. You won't be disappointed, they're a great can for the money.

If you need something more compact, I'd suggest the AKG K81DJ.

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 5
How about the JBL Reference 410? $29.24 on Amazon right now. They are basically rebranded AKG phones. I think the sound quality is pretty good, though some say that they are "muddy" or have "woolly" bass. Of course the Senn PX100 sounds much better, but it is an open headphone. However, in my opinion the JBL easily beats it's closed counterpart, the PX200.

Jul 29, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #4 of 5
I would recommend the JVC HA-S350. I know they have not had a great showing on the review sites but I bought pair in April because I was traveling to Manhattan and wanted something I could fold and place in my carry-on. I was very surprised at the sound these little cans put out. I also own a pair of Grado SR-60's and I think these hold there own against them. Also, for $30 you cant go wrong. I really love mine and use the often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back