Looking for a cheap bookshelf/monitoring speakers
Jun 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kimvictor

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello. Maybe I should post this at another website, but Head-fi is all I know. Anyways, I'm looking for a bookshelf/monitoring speakers that is powered(meaning it won't require an speaker amp) with very neutral, if not a bit bright sound sig(I care most about clarity and detail). I don't mind lacking bass. I'm looking to set up a 2 channel system(or 2.1), and want to keep my budget with $150. Does such thing exist? Thanks in advance! BTW, if anyone has such speakers, I am willing to trade them with my HD598 or DT1350(Also willing to give up anything in my for trade tread(in my sig))(I'm in Korea, so most of you will have to ship internationally).

Thanks in advance!

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2 of 14
For best SQ, your best bet is to go with a t-amp and then a pair of passive speakers. Check out this review on CNET of the Lepai and Dayton speakers: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57439115-47/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-$70/

That Lepai is impressive for a $25 amp. There are better quality t-amps for more money. I run Indeed TA2021s in two different setups in my house. See this review: http://t-amps.blogspot.com/2012/03/indeed-hifi-ta2021-25wx2-amp.html.

Then you can almost any kind of passive speakers you want with them. Check out your local used market. A pair of 10 year old passive speakers still has lots of life left in them, whereas I would be hesitant to buy used powered speakers since electronics are more likely to fail.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #4 of 14
Hey there, I'm new here so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I recently bought the Microlabs Solo6c powered speakers, and I think they are fantastic value and in your price range. Granted it's not a 2.1 system, but the sound is very bright and clear, and I have no problems with the bass level, it's punchy and great even for movies.

http://www.microlab.cn/product_detail.asp?id=279&bigclassid=15&smallclassid=72

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #5 of 14
Microlabs Solo6c is kind of out of my budget. I'm really tempted, but I'm in Korea, and they sell for a ridiculous price. If I can find one for trade, I might try to trade with my headphones, but for now, I can't buy them.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
Yeah I have no idea about Customs fees. Never heard the Behringers. Good luck mate

Alright. Thanks! I think I will stick with Behringers. They are cheap and I also get 1-2 day shipping for free. I guess that ends the tread! I won't be buying them for few more days, so if there are other suggestions, feel free to give them to me(they are fully appreciated).

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #13 of 14
Alright. That Lepai amp looks very interesting. Can you recommend me a passive speaker(with the sound sig mentioned above)? I'm really new when it comes to speakers. Thanks!

Sorry. I can't easily do that since you are in Korea. Not familiar with what's available there and the pricing. It will really depend on what you can find with your budget. Then research the individual speakers as you find them.

But definitely check the used market. Speakers loose a lot of value as soon as they are not new, and even more after five years or so. Yet, if the speakers are in good condition, you could easily get 10 years more use out of a 5 to 10 year old speaker. And it would blow away the Behringer MS16.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Sorry. I can't easily do that since you are in Korea. Not familiar with what's available there and the pricing. It will really depend on what you can find with your budget. Then research the individual speakers as you find them.

But definitely check the used market. Speakers loose a lot of value as soon as they are not new, and even more after five years or so. Yet, if the speakers are in good condition, you could easily get 10 years more use out of a 5 to 10 year old speaker. And it would blow away the Behringer MS16.

Alright. Thanks for your help. I'll keep an eye for used monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back