Looking for a cheap amp to drive the HD660S
Feb 25, 2018 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Pacommmm

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for a <80€ amp to drive good enough the HD660S.

I will pair it with my current DAC, a Sabaj DA3 (dual SABRE9018Q2C).

I have seen the Sabaj Pha2 at 49€ but I don't know if it would be enough. Other amps like the magni's, schiit or O2 don't have online availability here in Spain.

I want to know if there is other good recommendations or if the Pha2 will be a good option.

This will be a transient solution since I will buy a better dac/amp on December.

Feb 25, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 3

Pangea HP101 but shipping and import taxes will probably screw you over anyway you might as well wait. It does have USB input though.

You already spent your money the wrong way for what you're planning. That DAC-HPamp doesn't even have a DAC-direct line output. It will amplify the signal going into the amplifier receiving it, so it adds some noise and distortion in the process, which will then be part of the signal that will be amplified by the next amp, to which it will add more distortion and noise. What will normally be inaudible will likely be audible now, you're just farther off from clipping.

Or maybe not, considering the output from that might be at a too high voltage for the input sensitivity of the amplifier.

At best, you need to take some voltage measurements and figure out at what volume setting on that outputs 2volts. But then you have to buy the measuring equipment. Overall you're already starting off wrong for where you want to end up.

I want to know if there is other good recommendations or if the Pha2 will be a good option.

This will be a transient solution since I will buy a better dac/amp on December.

If it's a transient solution then you might as well just use the DA3 and get a proper DAC-HPamp pair (ie a proper line out on the DAC) or one box unit (that at least will have USB and a clean and powerful amplifier circuit) later.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi,
I have seen the Sabaj Pha2 at 49€ but I don't know if it would be enough. Other amps like the Magni's, Schiit or O2 don't have online availability here in Spain.

Assuming this is for a Windows PC desktop?
Maybe you can find a good deal on a used Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z sound card.
It's built in headphone amplifier should easily drive the 150-Ohm HD660S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back