Looking for a CD player
Jun 14, 2002 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

fyleow

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Santa Cruz and I have decided to just stick with my Live and buy a CD player instead. I need one that is relatively cheap (preferably below 100) and sounds pretty good. If it can play MP3s that is a plus but not required. Just a regular one, not portable.

Any suggestions?

Jun 14, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 11
Hey andrzejpw, have you ever compared your denon to a nad 521? I'm trying to decide which one I should get. I am not too interested in HDCD's because I don't have any, but it might be a nice option in the future.

Jun 14, 2002 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 11
I've just bought a Sony CE-775 5 disc SACD changer from Circuit City. Sony is discontinuing this model, there are only a few left. It retails for $179-$193, but I bought their last model which was a show model. Fortunately they couldn't find the remote, manuals, cables, boxes, everything was gone so I've got it for $119.97.

Check reviews at the hirez audio asylum, it's getting fantastic reviews also for redbook CDs.

I'm just breaking it in, so I can't say a whole lot about it, but at this price it seems like a very good deal to try out SACD.

Jun 15, 2002 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by jms007bnd007
Hey andrzejpw, have you ever compared your denon to a nad 521? I'm trying to decide which one I should get. I am not too interested in HDCD's because I don't have any, but it might be a nice option in the future.

No, I haven't compared them. But from what I've read, they aren't that comparable. Search the forums for nad 521. Its about $238, about $100 more than the denon.

Personally, I LOVE teh fact that that the denon is a changer, can play HDCDs(you probably have more than you think, and there is a SLIGHT difference). Also, the denon has some great DACs.

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
Sorry I'm new to the world of CD players, do any of those support MP3? What are SACDs and redbook CDs?

The unit I was referring to does not support mp3.
SACD is a relatively new digital standard and stands for super audio compact disc. The discs look the same, but hold more data. Redbook CD is the common standard audio CD.

Have fun

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 11
Ok well my dad said that the budget can be increased to mid $100. I don't really need MP3 playback since I can just burn it, as long as it supports CDRs I'm fine. I need one that is decent because I might be upgrading to speakers, amp etc.

Jun 15, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Oh I also have a creative DVD player, I think it's a rebadged Toshiba. Can I just use that with an Art DI/O? Or does the actual player really matter? Does the Art DI/O have a headphone jack?

Seems that there is alot of chatter about the Sony NS500V? How will this sound unamped? Better than the Denon 370?

Jun 15, 2002 at 4:32 PM Post #10 of 11
I must admit, while i do like the sound of the denon, I would not recommend getting this player used. It seems to have skipping problems eventually. (read reviews on audioreview) I suggest you just get a nice redbook for now. If you want something really good for really cheap, go yamaha.

Jun 15, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
Seems that there is alot of chatter about the Sony NS500V? How will this sound unamped? Better than the Denon 370?

The audio only SCD-CE775 beats the NS500V on SACD and redbook CD. The headphone out of the SCD-CE775 is considerably worse than my Headroom Little amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back