looking for a cassette deck
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

revault

New Head-Fier
i'm looking for a cassette deck to play some tapes i have lying around, 3-head or 2-head is fine (i don't do much recording to warrant the potential added expense of a 3-head deck), preferably something late so it's still likely to be mechanically intact, should have all the regular line in/line out jacks, would like it to be a dual cassette deck with autoreverse and dolby B/C/HX, and a relay function that can play tapes back to back on both decks

any suggestions for something i can find cheap on ebay?

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Funny this thread arises today. I've been listening to my Dragon after a long time of ignoring it. kd lang's "Ingenue" sounded pretty stunning. Nothing less than the CD version.

EBay is a crap shoot with cassette decks. My suggestion is to try Salvation Army stores and bring a pair of headphones and some cassettes to test whatever you find. I bought a Nakamichi BX1 (basic) for $20 not too long ago as well as an excellent HK TD-4400 for about as much. Was lucky that after a head-cleaning and demag they both play perfectly. Frankly, since I grew up coveting the damn things (yes, I am old) when I couldn't afford them, it's a sentimental collection. I still own many surprisingly good-sounding tapes.

Good luck.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #3 of 7
i was told that nakamichis were EQ'd wrong (and not by some average joe; a guy who's been working in hifi for over 40 years)? anyways, if i wasn't gonna to go an actual store and get one off ebay, are there any specific models? (funnily enough i have the hk3500 from around the same era, a really nice stereo receiver)

Jan 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Wow a tape deck now there's a stroll down memory lane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back