Looking for a can to compliment 770pro/Darth's!
Jul 14, 2007 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Grey Massacre

500+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi'ers!

I currently have 770 pro and Darth's V3-O. I totally adore them. I am looking for a can that has the opposite or a different sound signature to compliment those cans. I had some Grado's before and I enjoyed switching to them just to listen to the song from a different "point of view".

I would rather not go with Grado even if I like their sound signature very much. I used the SR80/225 models for many years, the higher models are way too expensive for the refinement they provide IMHO.

I have gone the Sennheiser path but not very far, I have listened extensively the 497 and 570 models. The 570 is dark sounding and distant and relatively neutral sounding (from what I remember). I did not really like the build quality also, even tho I am really really careful with my gear.

I have been looking around for the AKG 601/701 and Beyer 880 which are more in my price range of 200-300. One thing, I hate the white color of the 701, so I might have to paint them BLACK.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Anyhow, the build quality seems really excellent.

I am just curious what you guys have to suggest? I tend to really like the extremes, I love colored sound and a can that would cover the brighter end would be great! Comfort would be important as well, isolation is not a must as I listen in a quiet environment.

Thanks,

Charles

Jul 14, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 13
I'm going in the other direction. My main headphone is a pair of Headphile modded K340s. I'm looking for a good complement and will probably go with DBs as they are so different. So I can recommend K340s as a complement to your DBs. The only trick is that they are very hard to drive and take a powerful amp. I don't know your current amps and whether they would do them justice.

Jul 15, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Massacre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hum,

I have for some reason an attraction with the AKG 701. I might be patient and grab a pair in the for sale forum! :p

Charles

if you dont mind missing the bass from your darth, then its ok..ive tried the k701 and the darth and i dont think the k701 is that good imo..if you can look along the audio technica AD lineups, thats a good compliment i think.. i have an AD700 and theyre great..

Jul 15, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by souperman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh geez. Didn't read the post 100% lol.

I did! I did! So I'm not gonna comment on Grado....

....I might say......how about Alessandro!!?
blink.gif

Seriously, the more neutral and analytical MS2i may fit right on in there!

...might fit....may be worth a look!
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 13
Ideally, my complement to Darths would be AD900.... but I just bought the AD700 which I think will be capable of handling a good bit for me. AD700 is a steal of a deal right now, but I'm fairly certain you could find a better deal than the AD900. . . not that it's bad, there's prolly just better choices vs the AD700 (STEAL).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back