Looking for a budget amp for a desktop
Feb 22, 2014 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

soccerdude84

Head-Fier
Budget: ~$50

I want to plug the RCA out on my tv into my sound card's line-in to use as a mixer but the signal is really weak even with the line-in all the way up (the rca cable is 15 feet), so I just need something to boost the signal before it enters my sound card. I don't need anything fancy, just enough to give me a good volume range.

Thanks

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 11
So I got the Rolls and it works great by itself (without plugging it into my soundcard) and amplifies the signal quite nicely, but when I plug it into the line-in all I get is static and a really distorted signal.

Is this gonna be true for all amps? Do I need to buy a completely different device to make this work?

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 11
And the reason why I don't want to turn up my windows volume slider is because I'd have to turn down the sliders on everything else, some of which are already really low (10), so I don't want to completely ruin the range.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #9 of 11
X-Fi XtremeMusic

If I plug it into the line-out then I'm just amping everything in the windows mixer, when I only want to amp the line-in, and I can't just turn the others down because some of them are literally on 1 or 2 already.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #11 of 11
You could be dealing with an impedance mis-match of some sort.  I had that problem when I was playing around with a Shure SM57... I was trying to plug it into a receiver or something, with no "real" mic preamp.

My brother had this problem with either an FM tuner or CD player/deck with a really low line output he used a device similar to the one in your last post to boost the line level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back