Looking for a budge DVD Player
Aug 25, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #2 of 12
OPPO-DV-970HD
$149.99 shipped from Amazon.

Not sure how much it would cost to ship to UK.

Aug 25, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nospam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OPPO-DV-970HD
$149.99 shipped from Amazon.

Not sure how much it would cost to ship to UK.

never heard of this brand before... but did have a look at some reviews... looks like a great player...

thanks for the advice...

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #4 of 12
My friend drove over to their offices and picked one up. That alone blew me away - a DVD manufacturer based in the Bay Area? I thought DVD players were low margin devices, dominated by asian-based electronic conglomerates (besides a few in europe like philips).

He showed me some movies on his pioneer HD plasma and I was blown away by the quality. I don't think its worth trying to save like $100 with a super cheap DVD player when the Oppo can be bought for like $150. I wasted enough money on cheap crap that lasts me 6 months - I could have end up buying a few Oppo's by now. Apparently the 970 is not region free, although there is some hack to get around it.

Aug 25, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oppos are great for movies, I own one myself. Not so hot as a source for music, though. If you call them direct you could find refurb units that are even cheaper than normal retail.

Does this apply to customers in the UK also?

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 12
does anyone know how many DVD player models Oppo has??

I came across a few

OPPO DV-981HD
OPPO DV-980H

OPPO DV-970HD
OPPO DV-971H
OPPO DV-971HD

The differences between the top two is rather clear but the bottom three models are so similar.... anyone knows the differences?

Aug 25, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Oppos are great for movies, I own one myself. Not so hot as a source for music, though. If you call them direct you could find refurb units that are even cheaper than normal retail.

I was hopping it would be a decent source for music...

OPPO -> Beresford TC-7510 -> Little Dot MKIII -> Sennheiser HD595

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does this apply to customers in the UK also?

I like to know that as well...

Aug 26, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

OPPO sells refurbished units on ebay. My research came up with the same information as alchemy above....great picture, ok sound. If you're looking for a player for music, check elsewhere. Last year I bought a brand new still-in-sealed-box Sony NC-555 ES. I had it modded by Reference Audio...great sound, ok picture.

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 12
I find the 970 pretty good for music, especially SACDs. See the May (I think) and June Stereophile write up for evluation for music only. They seem pretty good for a $150 player. Now I have mine configured (in the initial set up instructions) strictly for music as I got it for SACD playback.

And if your budget could stretch to $170, you can get the new 980.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back