Looking for a Bose OE replacement
Feb 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

AgentJ

Head-Fier
So my Bose OE1 stopped playing in one ear, and now it's probably time to start looking to buy some new ones. Trouble is, I don't really know what I want :p

I'm mainly gonna be using them at home as I've started using IEMs when I'm out, so isolation isn't that important, for music, Skype/Hangouts and gaming.

So I don't know whether to get a "gaming" set, one's that would be better for music (I quite like V shape / sparkle) or a more balanced pair. Considering that I'm mainly going to be using them at home, and that I hardly used my OE1 out, I wouldn't need another portable headphone, which really just gives me too much choice -_-

Bose OE1 -
I liked how light and comfortable they were, although they would start to get uncomfortable after a couple of hours.  I'm by no means an audiophile (or else I wouldn't have owned  the OE1) but overall the sound was decent, with the  lower end being a bit boomy, and unclear for my liking. As for gaming, they sounded good too, minus the boomy.

One's I've been looking at:

1. Senheisser HD 25 II
  2. Audio Technika ATH M50 / M50X (bit expensive but if the removable cable is worth it...)
  3. [size=14.44444465637207px]CAL! 2 [/size]
  4. [size=14.44444465637207px]Grado s80i /  Alessendro MS1 [/size]
  5. [size=14.44444465637207px]MEElectronics Atlas - not that many reviews on it, but I think it looks pretty good[/size]
  6. Beyerdynamic  Custom one pro - quite like the tuneable bass ports on these
  7. Senheisser [size=14.44444465637207px]HD558[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px]Bose OE2 - I can get these for £80 which is why they're still an option (even if it's just to resell, and then I could use that extra dough for some of the more expensive ones)[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px]Others that are around the same sort of price :[/size]

1. [size=24.44444465637207px]AKG K 240[/size]

2. [size=24.44444465637207px][size=14.44444465637207px]Fischer Audio FA-004 [/size][/size]

3. [size=24.44444465637207px]Beyerdynamic DT 860 or the [size=14.44444465637207px]DT990 or the PRO700[/size][/size]

4. [size=24.44444465637207px]KRK KNS 8400[/size]

5. [size=24.44444465637207px]Sony MA900[/size]

6. Senheisser 280Pro

And a few more expensive ones : 

[size=14.44444465637207px]Philips Fidelio X1[/size]
[size=14.44444465637207px]Sennheiser Momentum[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px] Don't really want to spend more than £120ish, but over £150 really is pushing it. I don't really want to get an amp or anything, but I might be getting a ASUS Xonar DG sound card soon.[/size]

[size=14.44444465637207px]As you can tell, I'm  literally clueless so any help would be great![/size]

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 34
if you live with others you cannot use the grados, since they are open and will leak sound like a sieve. for skype/hangouts it will be like speakers, the sound will feedback into the mic, then everybody will hate you.

Since it seems like you are looking for a more bassy stationary setup, I am recommending the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 250 ohms to you. It will require using your asus xonar dg soundcard as amp, but it will give you phenomenal sound.

You wont be able to use it on any of your devices (iDevice, fragmentedAndroidDevice, zune) though, since the impedance is too high.

Feb 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 34
Sounds good. Just to make sure, if I do get a soundcard, it'd probably be something cheap like this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Xonar-PCI-Audio-Card/dp/B003ZXDOL6/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Would the DT770 still be good with that?

edit: I notice that the DT990 are actually a bit cheaper, would you recommend them over the DT770?

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 34
V-moda m80

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #7 of 34
Ah sorry, didnt realize they were being discontinued... They used to be around 150$, maybe wait a bit? :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695104/v-moda-xs-v-moda-m-80s-upgraded-new-v-moda-product-leaked-pictures-and-more

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 34
The difference between the dt770, 880, and 990 are in how open the headphones are.

dt770 are closed (better isolation and bass at the cost of treble and highs),

dt880s are semi open (or closed if you're a glass half full kind of guy) and offer less isolation and less bass, but a better soundstage and treble/highs, but will leak some sound.

dt990s are fully open, and will leak sound like crazy, and has no isolation, basically no bass, but a phenomenal soundstage and treble/highs.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #10 of 34
  The difference between the dt770, 880, and 990 are in how open the headphones are.

dt770 are closed (better isolation and bass at the cost of treble and highs),

dt880s are semi open (or closed if you're a glass half full kind of guy) and offer less isolation and less bass, but a better soundstage and treble/highs, but will leak some sound.

dt990s are fully open, and will leak sound like crazy, and has no isolation, basically no bass, but a phenomenal soundstage and treble/highs

Basically no bass? i don't think so. In fact is one of the open headphones that have more bass in my opinion, but it have shrill highs to my ears.
If you don't want to have an amp, I'm not sure if the DT880 250ohms sound good straight to pc. Considering that you like the spark in the highs (like a v shaped sound signature) discard the HD558. Try the Ath M50x, however if it sounds like the M50 the soundstage is normal, not great.

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #11 of 34
I don't really think the isolation isn't that important as long as the person I'm talking to (on can't really hear me, and there's at least the same amount as the OE1, I'm good (mic is built into the webcam for the moment anyway). So it seems to me like the 880 should hit the sweet spot in terms of audio quality vs isolation but unfortunately I don't think I have any shops near me to go and listen to them :frowning2:

Also, what's the difference between the headphones with the different impedance? All I know is that one's with a higher resistance are harder to power, but what's the point?

Looking around Beyer seems to be quite the reputable company, and I see a few other games who use their headphones for gaming too. What I liked about the custom one pro were how they seemed like they would be suitable for all kinds of music/activities with the bass ports, although I'm not sure how much of an actual difference it would make.

The M50X is supposedly the same as the M50 but with the removable cable, new colours, and more comfort . From what I've read, the M50 are always highly recommended, but I'd hazard a guess that although overall, they're great, there's probably better headphones which are more expensive, or aren't as well rounded...

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #12 of 34
I don't really think the isolation isn't that important as long as the person I'm talking to (on can't really hear me, and there's at least the same amount as the OE1, I'm good (mic is built into the webcam for the moment anyway). So it seems to me like the 880 should hit the sweet spot in terms of audio quality vs isolation but unfortunately I don't think I have any shops near me to go and listen to them
frown.gif

Also, what's the difference between the headphones with the different impedance? All I know is that one's with a higher resistance ate harder to power, but what's the point?

Looking around Beyer seems to be quite the reputable company, and I see a few other games who use their headphones for gaming too. What I liked about the custom one pro were how they seemed like they would be suitable for all kinds of music/activities with the bass ports, although I'm not sure how much of an actual difference it would make.

The M50X is supposedly the same as the M50 but with the removable cable, new colours, and more comfort . From what I've read, the M50 are always highly recommended, but I'd hazard a guess that although overall, they're great, there's probably better headphones which are more expensive, or aren't as well rounded...

Generally higher impedance headphones are better and easier to control for the manufacturer, at the cost of being harder to power.

IMO the m50's are overrated, their base is too high for good music, and are not comfortable at all. The DT770's are renowned for comfort.

Also another thing to look at is the akgk550's, but if you have glasses those will not be good.

Feb 22, 2014 at 6:34 AM Post #13 of 34
Yeah, overrated was the word I was looking for :p I was first introduced to them by MKBHD's video on his favourite headphones, which also includes the COP, and the VModa LP.

And yeah, I have glasses (sometimes wear contacts) , so I'd probably have to leave the 550 although they look massive anyway (I have a fairly small head)

I've also found a couple of comparisons which say that the 770s knock the COP out of the park, so that's another one ruled out.

Where do the CAL fit in? I know they're a gaming set, but I do like the look of them, and I know the older model was pretty popular...

Feb 22, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 34
Yeah, overrated was the word I was looking for
tongue.gif
I was first introduced to them by MKBHD's video on his favourite headphones, which also includes the COP, and the VModa LP.

And yeah, I have glasses (sometimes wear contacts) , so I'd probably have to leave the 550 although they look massive mp3 anyway (I have a fairly small head)

I've also found a couple of comparisons which say that the 770s knock the COP out of the park, so that's another one ruled out.

Where do the CAL fit in? I know they're a gaming set, but I do like the look of them, and I know the older model was pretty popular...

Yeah i think the same. The M50 is great but not great for everyone and every task like some people think and recommend them to do everything xD. The CAL! is a good headphone in its price range to listen music too, the older model was pretty popular because it was a "sucessor" of the Denon d1001 which had good sound. However i heard that the CAL!2 is not that great and is worse than previous CAL! If you don't want isolation, the DT880 (with an amp i think) is a great headphone, the CAL come to mind too but the DT880 is in other level. If you need the isolation, the DT770 have a sound signature that meets your requirements (And is a very good and comfortable pair)

CAL!
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvana.pdf

CAL!2
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/CreativeAurvanaLive2.pdf

PS: With the CAL you will get only mediocre isolation.

Feb 22, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #15 of 34
I don't really understand those graphs but according to joker, the CAL2 arent that bad http://theheadphonelist.com/initial-impressions-creative-aurvana-live-2/

Also, while I did say I liked the v shape sound signature, I'm now wondering if I actually do (although I definitely like that sparkle) cos I've been messing around with my EQ and found that everything sounds better (even if it's just a bit) with a mild 250-500Mhz boost (which I think is what people mean by warm)

I think I might order a paid of 770s and 880s and compare them, and just send the least favourite one back :p

edit: why is the 880 so expensive? Double the price of the 770 and 990 -_- 

How likely is it that the 990 wont meet my needs/ leak too much sound? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back