Looking for a Bose alternative non-hollow feeling headphones.
Sep 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

du4life

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of bose QC-15's I like them but thats simply it I like them.

The things I hate about them are the fact that they dont feel right. 

If I just gently tap / rub the cup the sunk in feeling bothers my ear, not to mention the fact the the hollow / sunk in feeling when I wear them also bothers me.

I am looking for a sturdy headphone that feels solid yet comfortable and iPhone controls and mic would be ideal. 

I mostly use them at work for music and audiobooks.

Thanks
Ricardo 

Sep 20, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 11
Sorry for the delay .. I subscribed to this thread.

I would like to stay around 200 .. max 300.

No ear buds .. cant stand things in my ear. 

Not really pick as far as on the ear or over the ear. As long as they feel good. It took me some time to get the bose feeling right but now they dont pinch my ear. 

Thanks
Ricardo 

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #4 of 11
To be honest, I really do not get "hollow" feeling you are talking about (maybe that's why no one put reply on your thread :p )

My guess is you don't like the fact the air does not freely move and forth via pads. Velour pads are best for that regard.

Now, the problem is pretty much most of headphones using velour pads (or breathable pads in general) are open-ended, which leak a lot of sound to outside and does not block sound from outside. Are you ok with open headphones or still need closed headphones?

Otherwise you have to buy closed headphones and get velour pads that fit into them.

Sep 23, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 11
When I even lightly tap the side the whole headphone feels hollow.
Maybe hpllow is not the best way to describe it. How about sunk in feeling or feeling like I am in a tunnel ?

I am open to open-ended headphones .. LOL  

Thanks
Ricardo 

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 11
Go see if you can demo the Audio Technica ATH-M-50 or the Sony MDR-1R.  Both are closed and within budget.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #7 of 11
The Sony's look nice. Good reviews on Amazon. 

They dont have them at best buy maybe I can find some where else for a demo.

Oh reading the reviews someone mentioned that some headphones make them feel like they are in a submarine. 
I think that is what I am feeling with these bose.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #8 of 11
  The Sony's look nice. Good reviews on Amazon.

They dont have them at best buy maybe I can find some where else for a demo.

Oh reading the reviews someone mentioned that some headphones make them feel like they are in a submarine.
I think that is what I am feeling with these bose.

Go search for the nearest Sony store to you.

Sep 23, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #9 of 11
Reading on .... but is it the noise cancellation that is bothering me?

I have some loud people at work .. LOL 
Hopefully non noise cancelling cans will still block them out. 

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Good morning .,. my  Sony MDR-1R's ( Non bluetooth non NC )  came in today.

I have to admit I am surprised that they seem sound way better than the Bose CC 15's.

And they are very very comfortable I can wear these all day without any issues. The only issue so far is that the part where the cord connects seems kind of loose.
I can hear my co-workers talking in the background but overall I think I can deal with that too given the comfort and fact I don't feel like I am in a tunnel like I did with the bose.

On a side note I did look at the Audio Technica ATH-M-50's but I am not a fan of the curly cord. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back