Looking for a Amp/phone combo for my iPod
Sep 20, 2004 at 6:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

dbecks

New Head-Fier
Have about a 500$ budget wanted a good portable setup. I listen to mostly rock and electronica so dont want something baseless. Any suggestions would be great
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

Sep 20, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Welcome to Head-Fi. Do you want truely portable, or are you looking transportable? Also related, do you required closed cans or is open fine?

Sep 20, 2004 at 7:07 PM Post #3 of 10
I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD25-1. After trying many different cans with my Ipod, this one is definitely the best bang for the buck. It is portable and sounds awesome. You also don't need an amp...in fact, with these cans, an amp gives you very minimal improvement. I use a SuperMicro from fixup.net because it does help with the soundstage a bit, but it definitely is not necessary.

Sep 21, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the welcome, looking at something truly portable and then as far as open or not, Im looking to use this on campus and on planes since I will be traveling quite a bit soon.

Sep 22, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by lennonsbug
MS1 + SR-71 = $500
MS2 + Supermono (avail Oct 1st) = $500

Both setups should be truly superb and portable.
All are easily resold if you have the urge to upgrade.

Cheers.

Errrm...Open headphones for someone who plans on using them on planes? You're either trying to make him or everyone around him deaf.

To the original poster- the HD25-1s mentioned above may be your best bet, although I would probably amp them some. Other than that, you really start making tradeoffs- you'd get better isolation from Sennheiser HD280s or Sony V6s (not V600, different headphone), but they're big and bulky. Alternatively, canalphones would work, but likely wouldn't have the bass you're looking for.

Incidentally, to the original poster- does your $500 figure include a player, or just 'phones/amp?

Sep 22, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbecks
Have about a 500$ budget wanted a good portable setup. I listen to mostly rock and electronica so dont want something baseless. Any suggestions would be great
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

I am currently using my IPOD in tge following combo:

IPOD - > SR 71 - > SENN 25-1 for portable use and AKG-501 for home use.

I am very pleased with it !
600smile.gif

Sep 22, 2004 at 5:35 PM Post #8 of 10
I thought the 25-1's were open cans? Do they not leak that much or something because If he is looking to use them on a plane and/or campus doesn't he need a closed can?

I have the a900s (Closed) and they are AWESOME with the iPod, but I won't wear them in public becasue they are way to big
smily_headphones1.gif
That might not be an isue for you. IMHO if these cans were not so big it would be the way to go.

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by vanillawafer
I thought the 25-1's were open cans? Do they not leak that much or something because If he is looking to use them on a plane and/or campus doesn't he need a closed can?

I have the a900s (Closed) and they are AWESOME with the iPod, but I won't wear them in public becasue they are way to big
smily_headphones1.gif
That might not be an isue for you. IMHO if these cans were not so big it would be the way to go.

No they are closed and works fine at planes with good insulation....

Sep 22, 2004 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbecks
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks

Shure E5c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back