Looking for a all-around portable amplifier; does one exist?
Apr 14, 2010 at 5:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

tennisplyr3

100+ Head-Fier
At this point in my life, I'm one to move around quite often, so I need to keep my belongings organized and to a minimum. I'm looking for a portable DAC/Amp all-in-one because my old portable dac/amp stopped working (long story).

The headphones that I'm looking to use it with are the Sennheiser HD650's and the HiFiMan RE0's. Before anyone says, "Go for a desktop full-size amplifier and a separate DAC," I wanted to say that I don't have much space on my desk and want to listen to music at work as well, so the appeal of a portable amplifier is such that I can transport it and carry it with me as needed. Additionally, I like listening to my RE0's while I'm on the bus/plane on long trips -- where being able to carry it around in my pocket comes in handy. 30% of my listening will be with the HD650's, while 70% will be with my RE0's. Almost all of my listening with the HD650's will be through the USB-out, while most of my listening on the RE0's will be through my Sansa Clip+.

I don't want to spend more than $600. I was perusing the forums to read up on some information about what's available. So far, the Headamp Pico, RSA Predator, and iBasso D4 have stood out for me, but I'm not sure which one to consider getting. I'm also open to other suggestions. Here's my understanding of the various amps:

Pico - excellent DAC, neutral sounding (on the cold side perhaps?); 3 year warranty (battery covered for 3 years as well); not much burning-in required

Predator - DAC not as good as PICO; longer battery life than Pico, stronger bass, more forward sounding, more noise with USB out (as indicated by http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu...predator.htm); lifetime warranty w/ battery warrantied for 3 years; ~1200 hours of burn-in are needed for this amp to reach its potential; best when solely used as an amp

D4 - excellent DAC(s); dual DACs (not sure how this works or why anyone would need 2); less than half the price of the Predator and Pico; one of iBasso's finest amps to date; uses 9V batteries; option of op-amp rolling (never done this before; hesitant to physically alter the amplifier)

Here are some of my concerns....
1) While the Predator's lifetime warranty is very appealing, if -- heaven forbid -- that Ray would be unable to attend to his customers needs, who would be able to continue serving his client base?
2) I really liked the crossfeed filter on my previous amp because it made listening to pure stereo less fatiguing. I noticed that none of the amps listed above have one. Would I be missing this feature much?
3) While the Pico and Predator have the option of being powered through a separate AC/DC adapter, the D4 can only be powered by USB or 9V battery. Would listening through the USB be sufficient to drive the HD650's? (I know some people will jump in and say that only a desktop amp can properly drive the HD650's; I would like a portable DAC/Amp though).

I listen primarily to classical piano/violin, rock, pop, and indie music. I'm also open to other DAC/Amp all-in-ones as well. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #2 of 12
I use the iBasso D4 for portable with Ipod/iem's and as dac/amp and I'm quite happy with it. The HD650 works ok with the D4, although it's obvious that they could use some more power so to speak. I usually listen with about half of the volume on the D4 when using the HD650.
Overall in my opinion (and with my current gear) I think the D4 works absolutely best as a dac/amp from computer and using my Shure 530, rather than as portable amp only.

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 12
For exactly the same purpose (traveling quite a lot) I bought Nuforce Icon HDP few days ago.

I am amazed at the performance of this miniature DAC/HP AMP/ PRE .
Highly recommended !

Looks like as they say "a real strong poison is kept in small bottles", is true after all.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the iBasso D4 for portable with Ipod/iem's and as dac/amp and I'm quite happy with it. The HD650 works ok with the D4, although it's obvious that they could use some more power so to speak. I usually listen with about half of the volume on the D4 when using the HD650.
Overall in my opinion (and with my current gear) I think the D4 works absolutely best as a dac/amp from computer and using my Shure 530, rather than as portable amp only.

When you are talking about power, were you driving the headphones using purely the USB or using a 9V battery in there? I saw from Skylab's review that he rated the D4's amplifier-only portion very highly. Although I'm assuming that it would be pair well with the RE0 and Sansa Clip+, are you saying that it doesn't work so well with the HD650's? This is one DAC/amp combo that definitely looks very interesting to me...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg132 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would the 3move be any good to you?

I actually have the original Move. Since it doesn't work anymore (long story), I'm looking to upgrade. I like how the Move had the crossfeed option and was portable. Because I had it before, I'm a little hesitant to purchase nearly the same thing. Although the amplifier is rated highly, I'm looking for an all-in-one with a better DAC. Thank you for the suggestion though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For exactly the same purpose (traveling quite a lot) I bought Nuforce Icon HDP few days ago.

Highly recommended !

Looks like as they say "a real strong poison is kept in small bottles", is true after all.

Hmm, most interesting. I was reading Larry's (HeadphoneAddict) impressions on it, and they seemed fairly favorable, except for the channel imbalance for lower impedance headphones at lower volumes. Would I notice the difference with the lower impedance RE0's? He said that it outperforms all the portable amps out there and that it only uses DC power (out of the wall). It doesn't use batteries, so I can't take it with me during a trip. I can use it for listening at my desk at home and at work though. I do wonder if there's any noise from noisier USB outputs though for the DAC I mean...

Are there any impressions on how it pairs with the HD650's (only saw HD600) and the RE0's?

The fact that it's 6" x 4.5" x 1" makes it transportable but not really portable. On the go, though, I just usually listen directly from my Sansa Clip+, so this definitely look like a promising option for me. I wish that there were more reviews on it, since the only reviews I found were Larry's impressions. I hope it's not a flavor-of-the-month thing. Thanks for the suggestion, and I'll keep this one in mind...

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 12
I have not used the dac/amp combo with battery, only usb. Not sure if it's possible using the dac/amp with battery power, anyone else know about that?

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Aww the HDP looks really interesting..
What head phones are you using?

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Highly recommended !

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM Post #8 of 12
Huh? I was reading a link posted on HeadphoneAddict's review thread:

Nuforce's new arsenal - uDAC and Icon HDP - Page 5 - PC SHOW 2010 | COMPUTEX 2010 | VRForums - Singapore IT & Lifestyle

"As I've mentioned that it is a low gain amp - It can't drive high impedance headphone/IEM well, hell my grados are already at 12-1 oclock or maybe i'm just deaf...
But I like it that way because I can turn up the volume without my ears bleeding from the volume and distorted shrieking highs."

So even though this HDP is designed for high impedance headphones, it can't drive high impedance headphones? What? I'm confused... Also, if you hear clipping, what is that an indicator of?

Apr 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by trentino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aww the HDP looks really interesting..
What head phones are you using?

I own Sennheiser HD 800, tried AKG 701, Grado RS 1i (borrowed) . Drives all nicely.
With HDP I have no issues with channel inconsistency with low impedance Grados, maybe this was an issue with the starting production, my HDP serial number is: 0401118 .

Normal Listening volume with HD 800 & AKG 701 beetween 1 and 2 o'clock.

The HP amp is very good, and the DAC rocks (excellent) !

I still can not believe how small this thing is and dead silent, pushing grand hi-end performance.
tongue_smile.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisplyr3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? I was reading a link posted on HeadphoneAddict's review thread:

Nuforce's new arsenal - uDAC and Icon HDP - Page 5 - PC SHOW 2010 | COMPUTEX 2010 | VRForums - Singapore IT & Lifestyle

"As I've mentioned that it is a low gain amp - It can't drive high impedance headphone/IEM well, hell my grados are already at 12-1 oclock or maybe i'm just deaf...
But I like it that way because I can turn up the volume without my ears bleeding from the volume and distorted shrieking highs."

So even though this HDP is designed for high impedance headphones, it can't drive high impedance headphones? What? I'm confused... Also, if you hear clipping, what is that an indicator of?

IMO I think they are more than appropriate with high impedance low sensitivity cans as well (maybe you are mixing this with their ICON 1 redbook usb dac, HP amp, desktop amp (2x 14watt) ?? - this is cca 1/2 the price of the HDP ?).

If you want a topnotch amp for HD 800 check Violectric V100, V200 from Lake people . I hooked V100 at HDP DAC (usb) - fantastic, but HDP HP amp alone is no sloutch either.

In any case HDP HP amp alone drives HD 800 with competence ( I cannot think of single complaint at this time ).

Apr 18, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks for the suggestion with the HDP. I'll keep it in mind. I was hoping that other people could chime in as well to answer my questions/concerns from above. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance...

Apr 19, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 12
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but the Vivid Technologies V1 is only $99 and does an excellent job with Sennheiser. Pretty darn good USB DAC too. I like it because I'm not scared to carry it around; if I drop it or it gets lost/stolen, I'm not out hundreds of dollars. Maybe it could hold you over for a while until you get something nicer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back