Looking for a $500-$1000 pair of cans as an upgrade to Audio Technica ESW9s and Shure SE215s
Apr 25, 2016 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Nintendork

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm interested in upgrading my setup in the near future, and since this time I'm looking to drop some serious cash, I don't just want generally good, I want great, and the kind of sound that works for me. To start, I'm coming from closed back, portable Audio Technica ESW9s as my main headphones, with Shure SE215s as my daily driver IEMs. I don't plan on replacing these, but instead fill a space that has nothing at the moment: My desk. By this, I mean I want an at home listening set of headphones, so open-back is a go with no requirements for isolation, just serious listening. That being said, I listen to many types of music, from classic rock to current indie to classical, but some of my more eclectic tastes include J-Pop and horn performance (pretty much think of it as classical). 

What I've been missing in my current headphones is a certain sense of impact, especially in the highs. The ATs have a nice warm sound but sometimes feel thin, and I feel myself straining to pick up a sort of sparkle that is missing in the treble. My Shures are amazingly fun to listen to out and about, but feel thin when I listen to them more critically. I think switching to open back will help my out a lot with these issues, but I definitely don't want a new headphone that neglects treble or has little impact.

Some of the headphones I'm curious about are the Sennheiser HD 700s (maybe the 800s used but with amp/dac, I'm going over my budget), Audeze EL-8 Open Backs, and even the Sennheiser HD 600s as a lower price point. That being said, there are so many smaller, respected brands that put out good offerings, so I definitely need some recommendations.

Last but not least, I'll need an amp/DAC combo, but I know a Magni/Modi combo is a popular choice. That being said, if you have a particular set of headphones in mind as well as an amp/DAC to pair with, I'd love to know.

Thanks for everything!

Apr 27, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #2 of 7
Nice post.

I kind of understand where you're coming from. The sweet ESW9 is a soft lush sounding headphone.

From my experience I'd say try audition TH-X00/TH-600 or TH-900 before the Sennheisers. Or FAD Hope VI (=Sonorous) or Sonorous III. Plenty impact from all these cans. Because you mention them Sennheisers especially the Fostex recommendations could be on the too bass heavy side for your taste.

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the recommendations! I've been eyeing the 00s for a while actually, and now Massdrop has a Purpleheart edition. However, I do think I want an open backed headphone this time around, and if that's the case, do you have any you'd recommend? I've been seriously eyeing both the Audeze EL-8 (Open) and 1st Gen Beyer T1s.

Apr 27, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #4 of 7
Oh, tough call.

I never heard the EL-8 but do own and really like the T1. For what you're looking for in a headphone and the genres you listen to I think it could be very suitable. Automatically Bottlehead Crack pops in up my mind to pair with. A great amp for a good price in my opinion. There will be nice cheaper amps out there. While I haven't heard the T1 on Magni/Modi I think you're not doing yourself a favour. In fact, I imagine it's not even going to drive the 600 ohm impedance of the T1 very well. The dedicated thread probably sheds light on that combo and others.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 7
  I'm interested in upgrading my setup in the near future, and since this time I'm looking to drop some serious cash, I don't just want generally good, I want great, and the kind of sound that works for me. To start, I'm coming from closed back, portable Audio Technica ESW9s as my main headphones, with Shure SE215s as my daily driver IEMs. I don't plan on replacing these, but instead fill a space that has nothing at the moment: My desk. By this, I mean I want an at home listening set of headphones, so open-back is a go with no requirements for isolation, just serious listening. That being said, I listen to many types of music, from classic rock to current indie to classical, but some of my more eclectic tastes include J-Pop and horn performance (pretty much think of it as classical). 
What I've been missing in my current headphones is a certain sense of impact, especially in the highs. The ATs have a nice warm sound but sometimes feel thin, and I feel myself straining to pick up a sort of sparkle that is missing in the treble. My Shures are amazingly fun to listen to out and about, but feel thin when I listen to them more critically. I think switching to open back will help my out a lot with these issues, but I definitely don't want a new headphone that neglects treble or has little impact.
Some of the headphones I'm curious about are the Sennheiser HD 700s (maybe the 800s used but with amp/dac, I'm going over my budget), Audeze EL-8 Open Backs, and even the Sennheiser HD 600s as a lower price point. That being said, there are so many smaller, respected brands that put out good offerings, so I definitely need some recommendations.
Last but not least, I'll need an amp/DAC combo, but I know a Magni/Modi combo is a popular choice. That being said, if you have a particular set of headphones in mind as well as an amp/DAC to pair with, I'd love to know.

My ATH-ESW9 headphones are my preferred portables.
Otherwise I use my Beyerdynamic T90 headphones for everything else :)

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 7
My ATH-ESW9 headphones are my preferred portables.
Otherwise I use my Beyerdynamic T90 headphones for everything else :)

Actually, I think you're the one who convinced me to keep my ESW9s a year ago! I love them, thanks for the previous advice! As for the T90s, I read about them and think the T1 will suit me better, but I'm glad to hear you like the T90s as they are fairly close to the T1!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back