looking for a 200$ replacement for my GR07
Feb 16, 2016 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ben23

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I have been using the GR07(first edition) for a few years. 
I mostly listen to EDM (house/dance/trance/handsup/techno), and to a less extant to Rock and Pop. I did like the GR07 sound a lot, but I did find their mid bass to be a bit lacking.
I also like vocals a lot, and the GR07 are prone to sibilance, I got used to it eventually.
The thing that I disliked was  the cable. I kept them safe in a pouch, never pushed the cable etc, but it broke three times for me over a 1.5 years period. The first two times, I got a free replacement (thanks a lot, lendmeurears for the great service!) but the third time I did pay for the cable replacement.
I am looking to upgrade them, and I would like some IEMs with detachable or at least a very high quality cable.
my budget is around 200-250$.

I am a total newbie when it comes to explaining the kind of sound I like, so I hope the genres I listen to will be enough. 

Thanks a lot! :)

Feb 16, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 3
I have had the GR07 also for some years, but don't listen to them much anymore because of the recessed mids and the unruly highs as you mention. When I'm not using headphones, I cycle through quite a few earphones, and some of them are priced below $50. I also use my earphones with desktop amps when I can.

However for a durable, quality pair with detachable cables I'm going to suggest Trinity Audio Delta. These are hybrid, dynamic and balanced armature combined, and they give a solid low end with very good top end extension. And the mids are more forward than the GR07, IMO closer to actual/natural balance.
I have the previous generation which sold out recently; it does not have a detachable cable. The NEW generation does have a detachable cable and is currently being offered with a pre-order discount scheduled to ship end of February. Anyway, price now is 80 pounds discounted from 99 pounds. About $120. With free shipping.

The Trinity Delta also comes with changeable filters for adjusting the sonic signature. I've only ever used the balanced/neutral filter. Since I also appreciate the good points of the GR07, I think you will find these a significant step up in sound quality. I'm listening to these now with the Valhalla 2 tube amp. 

Head-Fi thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/792938/trinity-delta-hybrid-v-ii

https://trinityaudioengineering.com/products/trinity-delta-hybrid-v-ii-pre-order-yours-now

Update: While the Trinity Delta is getting a quality upgrade revision to an already successful design and sound tuning, there is no guarantee that the new version will match the previous sonic signature exactly.

Another consideration meeting the stated criteria is the Dunu Titan 5. Titan 1 was very successful when released; I almost purchased this one several times. The problem for me were the reviews citing a lighter bass end and a recessed/distant midrange. Dunu has recently released the Titan 5 that improves upon those two areas of the FR.
Titan 5 is a single dynamic driver in a stainless steel housing with detachable cable for about $140.
The review below might be interesting to you. Not only is the review detailed but includes comparisons to the Trinity Delta and the Dunu DN2000J.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-5/reviews/14628

Feb 16, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 3
  Hi.

I have been using the GR07(first edition) for a few years. 
I mostly listen to EDM (house/dance/trance/handsup/techno), and to a less extant to Rock and Pop. I did like the GR07 sound a lot, but I did find their mid bass to be a bit lacking.
I also like vocals a lot, and the GR07 are prone to sibilance, I got used to it eventually.
The thing that I disliked was  the cable. I kept them safe in a pouch, never pushed the cable etc, but it broke three times for me over a 1.5 years period. The first two times, I got a free replacement (thanks a lot, lendmeurears for the great service!) but the third time I did pay for the cable replacement.
I am looking to upgrade them, and I would like some IEMs with detachable or at least a very high quality cable.
my budget is around 200-250$.

I am a total newbie when it comes to explaining the kind of sound I like, so I hope the genres I listen to will be enough. 

Thanks a lot! :)

You might also look into the Dunu DN 1000 or the Fidue A73--they might work for you and are in your price range generally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back