Looking for a 2.1 Setup With Compact Mains...
Aug 16, 2009 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I'm in the process of tracking down a 2.1 setup I'll be using at school this year... I'm trying to keep the price under $200 to $300 and need some fairly compact mains that won't eat my desk space.

Heres what I've come up with so far...

1. Blue Sky - EXO 2.1

3e70bf2501838e33b7bb15787d2d64df.gif

I've yet to hear these, but I think I will like them. I've been using some KRK ST6 monitors for a few years now and really love them. The $350 price stings a bit but I'm hoping I can bargain with the GC salesman a bit.

2. Cambridge SoundWorks - Extreme 2.1 Multimedia System
36979a26b64422273bbea97541f01ee0.jpg

I've heard good things about these, and the price seems very reasonable at $200. Any thoughts?

Any other suggestions?

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Compact mains will mean limited frequency response for the speakers, which will effect sound quality. Why not wall mount them? Or buy a desk with a shelf, I have B&W 601's and they take up no desk space at all, they're on a shelf above the main desk.

Aug 16, 2009 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Compact mains will mean limited frequency response for the speakers, which will effect sound quality. Why not wall mount them? Or buy a desk with a shelf, I have B&W 601's and they take up no desk space at all, they're on a shelf above the main desk.

I know that. I don't have much choice. This is going to be in a dorm room and space is at a premium.

A properly matched 2.1 system like the exo really shouldn't have any major issues in overall frequency response. From what I've heard its transition from mains to sub is pretty much imperceptible with proper placement.

Aug 16, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

From what I've heard its transition from mains to sub is pretty much imperceptible with proper placement.

Sorry that's incorrect I've used sat systems around £1000 2.1 system can tell it's a sat speaker system with a subwoofer rather than a wide range stereo speaker system.

Things like that Cambridge are just going to sound boomy.

Aug 16, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Things like that Cambridge are just going to sound boomy.

I really don't see how you can say that.

In any case this is what I need given the space I have.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Quote:

Sorry that's incorrect I've used sat systems around £1000 2.1 system can tell it's a sat speaker system with a subwoofer rather than a wide range stereo speaker system.

Really, all that means is that it wasn't properly setup.

Seriously. Even a full size speaker has to have internal crossover points... Theres really no way around it.

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #8 of 12
For a dorm room I would get a pair of av123 elt525m's and be done with it. The cherry finish is on sale for $175....a steal! I bought a pair new last summer for $299. They are an excellent sounding speaker and perfect for a dorm room.

Any sub in a dorm room is going to cause you problems. (Been there....done that)

The 525m's have a very small footprint.

My 2 cents...

Roger

Aug 16, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Really, all that means is that it wasn't properly setup.

eh, no. A boomy subwoofer, and sat speakers cannot be fixed by "setting it up properly" it is what it is, see those sat's reach down to 100hz, for music they'll sound quite lacking, the sub has to reproduce higher frequencies and this means sound from the subwoofer is more likely to be "heard" over the stereo speakers, even if you turn down sub volume.

Look into a pair of speakers, no subwoofer but speakers have a wider frequency response. You don't need bass dwelling monsters, down to 50hz will be fine. And better quality bass than a $200 2.1 system.

Aug 16, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a dorm room I would get a pair of av123 elt525m's and be done with it. The cherry finish is on sale for $175....a steal! I bought a pair new last summer for $299. They are an excellent sounding speaker and perfect for a dorm room.

Any sub in a dorm room is going to cause you problems. (Been there....done that)

The 525m's have a very small footprint.

My 2 cents...

Roger

Still too big I think... Really don't think they are much different in size from the KRKs I already have.

I'm really set on a 2.1 system because its the only thing that makes sense given the very limited space I have.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 12
You might want to try the Audiobytes (never heard them, but I have a collegue that likes them). The setup would be near $600 though

Audiobyte Computer Speakers - AxiomAudio
(has a return policy so you can try them out)

I think 2.1 system can be satisfying. It's a bit tricky to set up a 2.1 sat/sub system well though because when you are constrained where you place a sub, often the crossover blending response is not smooth. I found that there were some huge dips in my frequency response that was hard to get rid of. I had to spend at least an hour trying different settings/phase adjustment/crossover points before I could get something I was satisfied with.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to try the Audiobytes (never heard them, but I have a collegue that likes them). The setup would be near $600 though.

I did come across these... Thats really more than I want to spend on this setup. I don't see them being appreciably better in the enviroment these are going to be used in. I've pretty much settled on trying to get the Exos.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back