Looking for 60$ cans. Senn. HD 485?
Mar 15, 2008 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stoney_titan

New Head-Fier
Mar 15, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 14
I've never tried the HD485's myself. I can say that with a $60 budget, you can't go wrong with SR60's.

Btw, welcome to Head-fi . . . sorry about your wallet (I know mine has taken a hit in the 2 months I've been here
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 14
Well the sr60's look uncomfortable but the sound seems remarkable from reading comments. So it's buy and mod the SR60's vs. HD485's. What shall it be? I have a fricken cold and I want to go to bed soon. :p

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #4 of 14
We are talking about two different beasts up here. HD485 are bass monsters with typical darky sound sig, while Grado gives you the sparkle and fun with music.

Mar 15, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 14
I've had the HD485's for a few months and they are not as dark sounding as people lead you to believe.....I've listened to everything from Rush to Pavarotti, Pink Floyd to Willie Nelson and everything sounds great imho.

Mar 15, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stoney_titan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well the sr60's look uncomfortable but the sound seems remarkable from reading comments. So it's buy and mod the SR60's vs. HD485's. What shall it be? I have a fricken cold and I want to go to bed soon. :p

I've read many people say the SR60's are uncomfortale but I have found mine extremely comfortable from day 1. They are very light weight and I forget I am wearing them most of the time. I also bought them new, so it is not like the headband ws already stretched.

Mar 15, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 14
HD 485's are a good choice, they take along time to burn in, which tames the bass. however i havent heard grados so cant comment.

Mar 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #9 of 14
I think HD485's are pretty good value with solid build quality. They'll be more comfortable, and better for movies/games compared to the SR60.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 14
I used the HD485 for about 2 years as my main work headphone. IMO they're pretty good for all types of music. They definitely have the Senn sound signature, so they're not for everyone. I personally would pick them over Grados. I don't like the Grado sound much. The HD485s are also as comfortable as headphones get. They're very durable and have a replaceable cord.

Mar 16, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the HD485 for about 2 years as my main work headphone. IMO they're pretty good for all types of music. They definitely have the Senn sound signature, so they're not for everyone. I personally would pick them over Grados. I don't like the Grado sound much. The HD485s are also as comfortable as headphones get. They're very durable and have a replaceable cord.

I like both the Grado and Sennheiser sound as one is fast and exciting whereas the other is expansive and detailed. This maybe too late but I'd recommend buying the one that most fits the music that you listen to.

Mar 16, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #12 of 14
Well I just purchased the HD485's. After realizing that I mostly use headphones for movies and long gaming sessions, I decided to go with the more comfortable ones. I mostly listen to music on my ipod which will be accompanied by the ksc75's that I threw in the order, I couldn't resist with all the praise around here. I'm just worried they'll out shine my hd485's.
biggrin.gif
Should be here by Monday, I'll leave feedback.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 14
The KSC75 has a Grado like sound signature, so if you like them, you'll probably like the Grados as well. For me it just OK, good for the price but that's about it. IMO, it's a great way to see if you like Grados. Don't get discouraged if the clip doesn't fit well, it took me a few days of bending to get it comfortable.

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 14
even though this thread is about done with and you've already bought, an option in the cheap but good category that is often overlooked is the Panasonic HTX7's. They are very comfy, have a porta-pro sound (bass in your face) but are more detailed and accurate. If you like bass and the retro look, i'd recommend them over the senns and grados (both of which i've heard) for that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back