Looking for 50s stuff
Sep 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Head Injury

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm feeling nostalgic for the music of a time period 30-40 years before my birth, the 1950s. The problem is, there's so damn much of it. Even the standout artists of the era released countless hit-or-miss singles, EPs, LPs, and compilations. The volume, variety, and age of material is proving a challenge for my usual tactic of scanning AllMusic user ratings. I'm not a fan of "Best Of" collections, preferring the complete original records, so that avenue is out. All I have right now is assorted jazz, Cash's live prison shows, and whatever was compiled for Fallout 3 and NV. So I turn to you, fellow audionerds of Head-Fi.

What are some must-have albums of pre-Beatles pop?

What musicians should my playlist be ashamed of not having?

Where's the best places to start in the catalogs of greats like Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Frank Sinatra, et al?

and any other questions or discussions you wish to entertain.

Don't disappoint me.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm sure you've heard some of the names on this list.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists50s.html

I seriously doubt that you will find complete albums of these musicians on CDs. There's just not a big consumer demand for their type of music. You'll be lucky to find even LP records in good condition. That's why the collection exists of their best or most popular mixed with other musicians.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 8
  I'm sure you've heard some of the names on this list.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_artists50s.html

I seriously doubt that you will find complete albums of these musicians on CDs. There's just not a big consumer demand for their type of music. You'll be lucky to find even LP records in good condition. That's why the collection exists of their best or most popular mixed with other musicians.

I have heard of many of them. I've seen this list before, too, a long time ago before I was interested. This is an excellent start, and pretty much covers rock & roll. Thanks a lot!

You're probably right about the complete albums. I'll see what I can find in any case.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #4 of 8
Also something I'm looking for myself. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 8
What kind of 50s music? There were millions of kinds of music back then... Pop Vocals, Easy Listening, Rock n Roll, Country Western, Old Time Country, Pop, Big Band, Jazz, Latin, Lounge, R&B... Each one of these genres have an ocean of great stuff in it.

Sep 22, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 8
  What kind of 50s music? There were millions of kinds of music back then... Pop Vocals, Easy Listening, Rock n Roll, Country Western, Old Time Country, Pop, Big Band, Jazz, Latin, Lounge, R&B... Each one of these genres have an ocean of great stuff in it.

For me  ¬

Old time Country and folk - roots/blue grass
Soul - the precursor to Motown kind of stuff like Jessie Belvin or Sam Cooke. 

Sep 22, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Type these names into your spotify...

Old Time Country: The Stanley Brothers, The Dillards, The Osborne Brothers, Bill Monroe, Louvin Brothers, Red Foley

Soul really didn't exist until the 60s, but late 40s R&B and Jump Blues are what preceded that: Louis Jordan, Roy Brown, Wynonie Harris, Roy Milton, Ruth Brown, Tiny Bradshaw, Chuck Willis, Clyde McPhatter, Hank Ballard, Johnny Ace (this stuff is mostly uptempo)

Sep 22, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #8 of 8
  Type these names into your spotify...

Old Time Country: The Stanley Brothers, The Dillards, The Osborne Brothers, Bill Monroe, Louvin Brothers, Red Foley

Soul really didn't exist until the 60s, but late 40s R&B and Jump Blues are what preceded that: Louis Jordan, Roy Brown, Wynonie Harris, Roy Milton, Ruth Brown, Tiny Bradshaw, Chuck Willis, Clyde McPhatter, Hank Ballard, Johnny Ace (this stuff is mostly uptempo)

brilliant - I haven't heard of any of the jump blues stuff. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back