Looking for ~$500 open-back V-shaped headphones
Sep 18, 2020 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gmounce611

New Head-Fier
Hi, everyone. I'm looking for a pair of ~$500 open-back headphones with wide sound stage and great imaging.

I'm a fan of a V-shaped sound signature. I like fast, punchy bass. Nothing too analytical. I'll be driving them with the Schiit stack (Modi, Magni, Loki). Because I've got the Loki, I'll be able to neutralize over-aggressive treble or bump the low-end a bit, so I've got some wiggle room there.

I mostly listen to indie, rock, R&B, metal, and hip hop. Although this is all vocal-heavy music, I don't want a super vocal-forward headphone. I prefer when there's a bit of distance in the high-mids. I listen to some classical, electronica, and soundtracks, but those genres aren't my go-to.

Right now I'm interested in the Sundara and M1060, but I've read conflicting information about the Sundara's low-end reproduction, and I've heard that the M1060's are hella uncomfortable.

Any help would be great--thanks!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 7
660s really aren't v-shaped at all. beyerdynamic DT 1990s are a good v-shaped headphone

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 7
If you don't mind buying used, for V-shape sound signature around that price I recommend Fostex x00's. They are no longer on sale for new on Drop, but there are always some floating around in the headphones for trade section (or Ebay or Reddit). The x00 Ebony ones seem harder to find and are usually pricier than the Mahogany ones, but they are both great. I haven't listened to the Purplehearts. The TH/TR versions are the same except the TR has detachable cables.

Edit: Ah, sorry, didn't read close enough and missed the imaging/soundstage part. These don't have great soundstage, so while you should consider I wouldn't entirely recommend them based on your preference.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #6 of 7
See if you can find a secondhand campfire cascade! Would be right up your alley!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back