Looking for $300-400 IEMs for EDM (Details inside)
Apr 22, 2018 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CaptainGG

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for IEMs in the $300-400 price range that are best suited for EDM. HOWEVER, I am not looking for bass cannons. I like powerful bass but not when it comes at the cost of the mids or when it becomes the only detail you can pick up. I like to hear the details in well-produced EDM (much of the stuff I listen to has male or female vocals) as well as get pumped up to a hard hitting DnB or House track. Obviously there is a lot of treble in EDM and I would love for it to be accurately represented but I would like to ideally not have it come through as harsh, sibilant, or fatiguing.

I will be using these headphones everyday (at work, walking the dog, and at the gym). Comfort and sound isolation will be very important. Lastly, my source will primarily be my Pixel 2 XL with some FLAC songs and some spotify streaming. I have no portable DAC but I may be convinced to get one if you think it is essential. Ideally, I'd like to not have to mess around with EQ settings and simply enjoy the sound signature of the IEMs out of the box (after burn-in).

This has been a very confusing and tiring search so far as I have run into only suggestions for basshead IEMs or insanely V-shaped ones. To be honest, I am pretty lost as to where to search next so I am very much hoping you guys can help me out.

I have some interest in the FLC 8S (though the 32 possible combinations of filters etc. seems a little daunting).

Hoping for this search to come to an end!

Thanks in advance.

Apr 22, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 9
You might also look into am Oriveti New Primacy or a Campfire Orion. Maybe read about them and see what you think.It is possible one could work for you. Neither is a bass cannon, FWIW.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #5 of 9
You might also look into am Oriveti New Primacy or a Campfire Orion. Maybe read about them and see what you think.It is possible one could work for you. Neither is a bass cannon, FWIW.

This is incredibly helpful. I couldn't find any reliable info on the Sony pair so they're out. The Campfire Orions are apparently a little to bland in the bass department so, I think for my purposes, they're out as well.

That leaves me with the Oriveti New Primacy and the LZ A5 (in addition to the FLC 8S). The LZ A5 seem to be consistently too bright in the treble department but may offer slightly better bass than the Oriveti. That being said, the bass definitely is rated as quite good with the Oriveti.

My concern/question regarding the Oriveti is that they may be a little too neutral. What do you think?

Lastly, if it was solely down to either the Oriveti or the FLC 8S which would you choose (unless there are any other models of IEMs that we have missed as part of this discussion)?

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, I personally don't consider the NP to be too neutral. I like the balanced signature and as you correctly point out, the bass is quite good on them. Personally, I would probably go with the NP over the FLC 8S. I find all the filter setup options on the 8S to be a bit overwhelming for me.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah, I personally don't consider the NP to be too neutral. I like the balanced signature and as you correctly point out, the bass is quite good on them. Personally, I would probably go with the NP over the FLC 8S. I find all the filter setup options on the 8S to be a bit overwhelming for me.

Interesting. Well before I go ahead and order them, in terms of overall quality are they better than the FLC 8S? I feel like I could probably find 1 single filter setup that I like with them and stick with it rather than always be customizing if they deliver better sound at the end of the day compared to the NP. Also, should I consider getting a portable DAC/AMP? I really have no technical proficiency with them and not sure when they would be necessary.

Lastly, as the NPs are $300, I still technically have $100 more to work with. Is there anything that is in the $400 range that is better?

EDIT: Though they are $50 more expensive than my range, what do you think of the SHURE SE535 for my purposes?

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 9
My personal preference is for the Oriveti. You can always get a DAC or amp or both down the road but I would spend the majority if not all of your budget on the IEM at this point. There is another in your general price range.you might consider and that is the Dunu DK-3001. You might read about it and see what you think. It could work. Lastly, if you want to blow your budget up, the Campfire Polaris is a tremendous value. Maybe check it out, too.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Try the Campfire Comets. They have a good amount of bass and also nice vocals. Only $199 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back